Chapter 31: Brain Freeze

Mona called Felix right away, bago pa magising si Brandi, and explained to him that she got drunk the night before. Ang sabi pa niya, kasama niyang uminom si Aika dahil brokenhearted ito. She didn't tell him about Brandi. Alam kasi niyang magagalit ito. He wasn't satisfied with her explanation. He wanted to meet with her, to talk to her in person.

Pero alam niyang malayo ito. When she told him that she has plans the day before Valentine's Day, she gave Andrea the upperhand. Umalis ang buong pamilya ng February 13. He's supposed to be back the morning of 15th.

"Pa'no 'yong lakad ninyo?" paalala niya. "Family day 'yon, di ba?"

Pumalatak ito. Bumuntong-hininga.

"Sorry kung nag-alala ka. Wala lang 'yon—"

"You were drunk," he interjected. "It meant something."

"How can that mean something when I'm drunk when I typed it?" Hinilot niya ang sintido. Biglang sumakit ang ulo niya.

"A person is most honest when she's drunk," he explained. "Maybe you unconsciously want that." His voice cracked. Tumikhim ito. Nang magsalita itong muli, malumanay na ang boses nito, para bang mabibiyak. "We have to talk about it."

Napasapo siya. "Beh, pwede bang huwag muna ngayon? Maybe after a few days?"

"We'll still see each other tomorrow, right?"

She bit her lip. After those series of texts? Nahihiya siyang humarap dito. She knew that when they see each other again, she will give in to him again. She will deny those texts. She will deny what she really feels, because she had to hold on in order to keep their relationship.

Napapagod na siya. Pero ayaw niyang bumitaw.

"Will it be okay kung huwag muna?"

Felix heaved a sigh. "Okay. I'll talk to you later."

--

Felix didn't show up the next day. He didn't give her another call. He just sent her a text message saying, 'If you want to talk or meet, just send me a text'. She wanted to see him. Gusto niya itong makasama. Pero ewan ba niya. She felt indifferent for a few days. And then, Mickey's confession happened.

She and Brandi went to Aika's house to apologize. Apparently, seryoso pala talaga si Mickey sa kaibigan nila. He just needed the go signal from Aika's parents. Who would have thought that someone like Mickey, who's never been in a serious relationship before, will fall madly in love with Aika, enough to ask for her whole family's permission? Enough to admit his feelings for her to the world?

Mickey's confession made her think about her relationship with Felix. They're officially together, but everyone around them thinks that it's a bad idea, that they shouldn't be together. Na para bang may mali.

Ilang araw rin silang walang komunikasyon ni Felix. He's really waiting for her to make the move, which brought another realization. He's always making her decide. It's like he can't even decide for the both of them.

Ilang araw siyang nagmukmok hanggang sa nakaipon siya ng sapat na lakas ng loob. She sent him a long text.

Hey, I know it's been a while. I'm sorry if I didn't contact you sooner. I took the time to think. To really think about us. And I think that I deserve to be a little selfish. Everyone around me thinks that I deserve better, but I held on to you because I love you. It's funny, isn't it? I finally have the guts to tell you how I feel, and it's under this circumstance. I love you. I really do. You make me feel like I'm younger than 33. It was nice to be loved by you, but it was painful to love you. I don't believe that I'm too good for you, but I know now that I deserve better. Still, I want to give you a chance, Felix. Choose. Because in the end, you have to choose, so why not choose now? I want you to choose me, but I know that you love them so much, too. I promise I will try to understand if you choose them over me.