Chapter 29: Making Up

When Felix took Mona home that night, he didn't speak to her throughout the whole ride. She knew he was mad. Who wouldn't? Although hindi naman nito sinabi na exclusive silang dalawa para sa isa't isa, syempre understood na 'yon. And she knew that he's trying to be there for her. Kaso nga, bata ang kalaban niya sa atensyon nito. Ayaw sa kanya ng pamilya nito. Boto ang mga ito kay Andrea. The truth's always there and it's never going to go away.

She reached for his arm. "I'm sorry."

Bumuntong-hininga ito. He stopped the car because they're already in front of her house. Pagkapatay nito ng makina, binalingan siya nito. He took her hand and asked seriously, "Are you not happy with me, Mona?"

"Ano ba namang klaseng tanong 'yan?"

"Palagi kitang tinatanong, hindi ba? I was always asking if you're okay with things. You always tell me that you are, and then, earlier, 'yong mga sinabi ni Brandi—"

She shook her head. "Don't mind, Brandi. She's just overly protective of me."

"Still... gusto kong malaman kung masaya ka pa ba sa 'kin."

Ngumiti siya rito. "I am."

Felix smiled back. "I'm glad to know that. But promise me, Mona, if you're not happy with me anymore, you'll tell me, all right?"

Tumango na lamang siya para matapos ang usapan. She knew that she would not let him know that she's unhappy if he's still happy with her.

Felix followed her inside the house and asked if she wants him to stay. Of course, she said yes. But while they were lying on the bed, ready to sleep, saka niya naisip na baka hanapin ito ni Angela. The kid might wake up from her sleep and wonder why her dad wasn't beside her.

"Hindi ka ba hahanapin ni Angela?" tanong niya rito.

"I'll see her on Monday."

"Pero baka magtampo 'yong bata sa 'yo. Weekend nyo with your family pero nandito ka."

"I know," he said with a sigh. "But you might meet with other guys if I'm not around."

"One time lang naman 'yon. Brandi just wanted me to try it."

"Because she thinks that you're not happy with me."

"She's just concerned."

"She doesn't need to concern herself with our relationship."

She pressed her cheek on his chest. "Friend ko kasi 'yon. Syempre, concerned sya sa 'kin."

He tilted her chin up with his fingers. "Bakit mo kasi ikinwento sa kanya 'yong nangyari no'ng new year tapos hindi mo sinasabi sa 'kin 'yong feelings mo? If you just told me, then we could have done something with it sooner."

"Ano naman ang gagawin mo? You can't be separated from Angela. If she wants you there, you should be there," she told him. "I can't take you away from her. I can't take you away from your family. I don't want them to hate you. So... wala naman talaga tayong magagawa."

He brushed her hair and sighed. "Meron. I'll find a way."

--

After that weekend, Felix tried his best to balance his work, Angela, and her. Whenever there's a chance to be with her, he'd be with her. The first few days were okay. Mukhang gumawa pa ng schedule si Felix para lamang mapagbigyan ang lahat ng may kailangan dito. But after two weeks, napansin niyang unti-unti na itong napapagod.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked him one night. They were out having dinner. Date night nila. Nangingitim na ang ilalim ng mga mata nito. Mukhang wala itong masyadong tulog.