Chapter One

"Where do I have to sign?" she asked and crossed her legs under the table, immediately grabbing the pen that was offered to her by her lawyer. "Are you sure you want sign? You can think about it again and we can set up another meeting if y-". Demi didn't even listen to her lawyer and pulled the papers over to herself. She signed them and got up without even looking at the man that broke her heart into a million pieces. She grabbed her purse and without saying goodbye to either her own lawyer or Nick's, she stormed out of the office, slamming the door behind her. 

Nick leaned back in his chair, looking down on his hands that rested on his lap. He twisted the ring on his finger before looking up to his lawyer. "Can I go now?" he asked and the man next to him pressed his lips together, offering a sad smile as he nodded. "Good." the singer mumbled and got up as well, following his now ex-wife out of the office door. He reached the elevator door and closed his eyes as he made his way down to the lobby.

They could've been so happy. They could've been so big and great together, but he fucked it up. He ruined the chance of a happy ending for them. Nick sighed and took a deep breath as he loosened the tie around his neck and opened the first two buttons of his shirt. The elevator doors opened and he could see Demi walking out of the building and over to the car that parked in front of it. Without really knowing why, he ran after her, calling out her name. 

"Demi! Please... ". The brunette turned around and the death glare on her face made Nick back off a little. "What the fuck do you want?" she asked and clenched her teeth. Nick swallowed hard and stuttered a few words, but none seem to be good enough to explain himself. How could he? There was nothing to explain. This situation was pretty clear and simple and he knew that. "I just...I want to apologize." 

Demi chuckled bitterly. "Apologize? I have enough of your apologies, Nick. I'm done. From now on, we're going our separate ways and it's your fault. So have a great life. I hope knowing that you fucked everything up still keeps you up at night." she spat out and turned around, getting into the car. She started the engine and drove off, leaving Nick behind. He ran his hand through his hair and tried to fight back the tears that threatened to roll down his cheeks.

Flashback:

He knew this was going to end badly. He was aware of the things he was doing even though the amount of alcohol already influenced his judgement. But he was still not stopping it. His mind was telling him to stop, that he would fuck everything up, but his body didn't react the way he wanted. In fact, it did the exact opposite. Being a married man should've been enough for this woman to stay away from him, but she saw her chance and took it. That they were now laying in his bed, their bodies grinding against each other and their moans getting louder, was risky and due to how busy and preoccupied Nick was, he didn't realize that the front door was being opened downstairs.

The footsteps got louder and louder, just like the moans of the naked woman beneath him. His hips buckled down, his hard member entering the blonde over and over again as the bedroom door was opened and he heard a loud gasp and it sure wasn't coming from the woman he was sleeping with. He knew that gasp. He recognized that voice out of thousands. It was his wife and from one second to the other, Nick was sober. He turned his head and looked at the horrified expression on Demi's face. 

The brunette swallowed hard and her chin started quivering. Tears rolled down her face and Nick quickly pulled out of the blonde, grabbing the sheets to cover up his erection. "D-Demi...I-I can explain. I..." he mumbled and the blonde in their bed got up. "I should probably leave." she said and gathered her clothes. As soon as she was out of the room, Demi rushed to the closet and grabbed a suitcase.

She opened it and began to throw Nick's clothes into it, not even bothering if it all fit or not. "Demi, please." Nick begged as he began to get dressed again. Demi, who was trying so hard not to break down in uncontrollable sobs, finished packing Nick's stuff and closed the suitcase. She threw it over to him and shoved him out of their bedroom. "Get out! Get out of this house! I don't ever wanna see you again." she yelled and punched his shoulders and arms over and over again as she pushed him down the stairs. 

Nick stumbled down the steps. "B-Baby. Please I can explain." he said. His eyes wandered up to his wife as she stood on top of the stairs and threw the suitcase down towards him. He jumped out of the way, begging and pleading her to hear him out, but Demi's hatred towards him only grew the more he talked.

Eventually, they reached the front door and Demi forced him out into the dark night. "Baby, please!" Nick begged and looked at her with his big brown puppy eyes. "I love you, Demi. Please don't do this. Let's talk. I wanna talk..." he begged, tears rolling down his own cheeks right now. Demi slammed the door shut and left him in the dark. The singer stood there, starring at the big door of their luxury house. He couldn't move. He couldn't think straight. All he heard were Demi's sobs behind the door. 

He knew she was sitting on the floor, leaning against the door crying her eyes out and that's all because he fucked someone else in their bed. It was an understatement to say that he hated himself in that moment. If there was a way to turn back time, Nick would immediately do it. He placed his hands onto the door, resting his forehead against the big, dark wood and closed his eyes. "I love you." the singer whispered and let his tears fall. 

Suddenly the door opened and he saw Demi looking at him. he has never seen her this hurt and angry and they've known each other for quite a while. They have been through so much together and he has seen her at her worst, but this was different. This was his fault. "You forgot something." she mumbled and pulled off her wedding ring, throwing it out behind him before she looked at him again. Nick knew he shouldn't say anything. He already did enough damage. "I hate you." Demi sobbed and slapped his cheek so hard, his head snapped to the side. The brunette slammed the door shut again and once again, Nick was left behind in the dark.

Flashback ends

It was 3.45pm as Nick reached the door of Joe's apartment. He pulled out his keys and opened it. His big brother was so nice to let him stay with him for as long as Nick needed to get this life back together and everything else sorted out. Joe stood in the kitchen and turned around as Nick walked in. He gave his brother a sad look, walking over to him to hug him. 

"I'm sorry." he whispered into his little brother's ear. Nick chuckled. "Sorry? For what? That I'm a fucking failure as a husband?" Nick pulled back and walked to the fridge to get a beer. He pulled off his tie, opened the rest of his buttons and made his way out on the roof-deck. Joe joined him with a beer and sat down next to his brother. "Did you two talk?" he asked and Nick shook his head as he took a huge sip. 

"I tried. Actually, I don't really know what I would've said to her, but she didn't even give me the chance. She snapped at me in public...a good story for the press." he said and licked his lips. "She...she signed the papers with no hesitation, Joe." Nick sighed and looked at his brother. "She didn't think twice before she picked up that pen." It broke his heart into a million pieces, but he knew he should've known what happens once Demi finds out about that one night stand.

 "You know, I never thought we'd end up here. We were best friends, then lovers and then married." Nick grabbed a cigar out of his box that stood on the table next to him. "She's the love of my life, Joe. She's my past, she's my present and I wanted nothing more than for her to be my future." His eyes started tearing up again, but he quickly wiped the tears away. "But I guess that chapter of my life is over now."