Chapter Twenty

Author's note: Get your kleenex boxes ready. It's gonna be heartbreaking

The next day started early for Demi, even though it was already 10.30am. She felt as if she'd barely gotten any sleep since they've been in the hospital for a long time and her mind kept her awake most of the night. She couldn't even remember what she was thinking about. It most likely had to do with Theo and André. The singer took a deep breath and looked over to her side, seeing André sleeping peacefully next to her. His blonde hair was messy, he hasn't trimmed his beard in a while and Demi bit her lower lip as she realized that she was going to break this man's heart even more one day. For now, she knew she needed to focus on other things, though.

Demi got out of the bed slowly and grabbed her phone as she headed to the bathroom. She checked her messages. Joe checked up on her every now and then, which she was really happy about. She loved their friendship so much and she knew she could always lean on him if life gets hard. After replying to a few messages and checking her notifications on Twitter, the singer stepped into the shower and let the warm water run down her body. She closed her eyes and laid her head back into her neck, relaxing a little more.

She finished the shower and dried herself off before getting dressed in a pair of comfortable jeans and a hoodie. She headed downstairs and prepared a coffee. She could get something to eat on her way to the hospital. Footsteps upstairs let her know that André was awake as well and a few moments later, she heard the shower. She smiled a little and took a deep breath. Knowing that she'd get to see her son again soon made her happy.

The singer tried her best not to think about what the day would hold in store for her and André. She tried to life it one minute at a time, especially now that she knew her son was so sick and suffering. She wished she could take it all away from him and take him home already. They had his clothes all sorted out in the closet, a little crib already build in their bedroom. André did it before he left when Demi was still pregnant. There was nothing she wouldn't give to see Theo sleeping peacefully in that crib just for once.

André walked around the corner a few minutes later and offered her a little smile. "Morning." he said and kissed her lips quickly before grabbing a cup of coffee himself.

"Hey."

Ever since he was back home from Germany, Demi didn't know what to say to him. They could barely hold a conversation now that they were both too worried about their son.

The two of them stood in the kitchen, silently sipping their coffees as Demi heard her phone ringing.

"Hello?" she said after she put it to her ear and placed the cup down on the counter. It was the doctor. Demi could feel her heart skipping a beat and her hands started getting shaky as she listened to what he had to say.

He told her that her and André should probably come to the hospital. Theo's condition was getting worse and worse that night. "We'll be there as soon as possible." she said and her voice broke a little before she hung up. André looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"T-They said his condition was getting worse." she told him and André took a deep and shaky breath. He placed his cup down as well and swallowed hard.

"W-We gotta go." he said and took Demi's hand. They headed to the car and André drove as fast as he could to get to the hospital. Neither of them knew what was really going on or if they'd get to see their son alive. The thought made Demi feel sick and she wanted to throw up.

Demi barely realized she was already crying as they arrived at the hospital. They rushed to the room Theo was in and met the doctor on the corridor.