Chapter Six

The thought of her and Nick didn't leave Demi's mind. She was so sure she was over him, that she was ready to move on and part of her was. She was happy with André. He really treated her like a queen, but what if she would've given Nick another chance? She knew what it was like to be drunk and find yourself in a stranger's bed after a long night out partying. She definitely wasn't an angel back in the day and had her experiences with cheating on people. Back then she simply didn't care. Now she was 8 years sober, has been cheated on before and promised herself she wouldn't take that shit from anybody. Of course the singer never thought Nick would be one of the guys who'd end up cheating on her.

The morning after her appearance on Ellen's show airs, all the news accounts tried to read between the lines of what she said on the show about the song, about her relationship with Nick, about her boyfriend. She tried to ignore all the headlines as much as she could as she scrolled through Twitter and Instagram. It was frustrating to see so many people having an opinion on your life, whether it was positive or negative.

Demi sighed and locked her phone again before she got up from the bed and headed into her walk-in-closet. She put on her workout clothes and tied her hair up in a messy bun before she headed downstairs and grabbed a bottle of water and her car keys. As she pulled into the familiar road to the Unbreakable Center, she saw Joe's car and sighed. Even though the two of them were cool with each other, she knew he'd probably comment on the show yesterday and tell her what Nick thought about it.

The brunette parked her car and locked it. "Hey, D. How are you doing?" the girl behind the reception asked and smiled brightly at her.

"Hey, Cara. I'm doing really great, what about you?" the singer asked.

"Same. Uhm...Joe asked if you'd come over today. Sounds like he wanted to talk to you or something, just so you know that maybe you go find him." Cara smiled.

Demi frowned and looked around in the gym, spotting Joe at on the treadmill. She looked at Cara and offered her a smile as well. "Thanks for letting me know." she said and headed over to the male who had his headphones in and was fully concentrated on his workout.

Demi smirked and stood in front of him, seeing that he was still looking down on his feet as he sprinted. "You wanted to see me?" she asked after she pulled his headphones down and Joe almost fell.

"Jesus Christ, Demetria." he mumbled and turned off the treadmill. "Can you like...warn me before she talk to me?" he said, completely out of breath from all the running.

"It was funnier this way." Demi chuckled. "So, Cara told me you asked about me. What's going on?"

Joe took a huge sip of his water and grabbed his towel, wiping his forehead. "Can we go and talk outside, please?" he asked and Demi nodded. She wasn't really looking forward to the conversation, but she knew Joe well enough. He wouldn't just let her leave without talking to him first.

The two of them walked out into the backyard, sitting down on a bench. Joe took another sip of his water and placed the bottle down between his feet, leaning against the wall. "How was the show yesterday?" he asked and looked at Demi.

The singer leaned back as well and crossed her legs, shrugging. "It was good. I had fun. I mean, you know Ellen. She's always fun to be around. Why are you asking?"

Joe looked around. They were the only people so he could talk without having to worry that someone would overhear their conversation. "I haven't seen it, but Nick was pretty enraged about it." he said and shrugged. "I know I probably should worry about it since it's not my marriage that failed, but I see him suffering, Demi. That's not Nick anymore." Joe said.