In Your Arms - Soul x Maka

He hated it.

He hated everything.

He hated this place.

Hospitals always made a Soul feel uneasy, and he would avoid them as much as possible.

But he couldn't avoid it this time.

---

"I'm sorry," Stein said. "We've done all we can."

Soul stood in front of the doctor, frozen in his spot.

"But, Stein! There's got to be a way!" He pleaded. Soul wasn't ready for this to happen. No one was.

Stein let out a sigh. "No, Soul. We've done everything we can."

"Maka's not going to make it."

---

"Hey," Soul greeted as he walked into the room. Maka was resting on the bed, laying down at an incline.

"Hey." She greeted dully as Soul kissed the crown of her head.

She already knew she was going to die.

Soul pulled up the seat next to the hospital bed and grasped her hand, kissing her palm. He looked up at the ill girl.

"I love you." He whispered to her.

Maka turned to him, and finally gave him a smile. She pulled up Soul's hand to her lips and kissed it.

"I love you too." She replied.

The following days were the same. Soul would be at the hospital never leaving Maka's side. They would talk about all the good memories, then cry when it came to the topic of Maka's death.

Over time Maka grew weaker and weaker. IVs were all around her, and she would lose her breath very quickly after talking. Maka made the decision to cut back on the medication, only taking relaxers and pain meds.

They knew her time was coming soon.

---

The hospital bed was changed into a larger one to fit both Soul and Maka. He ended up falling asleep with her every night.

This evening, Maka sat in between Soul's legs, his arms around her waist. She leaned back into his chest as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"If I could just die in your arms," Maka sang softly, tears dripping down her face.

"Stop that." The boy said, feeling himself tear up as well.

"I wouldn't mind." She continued. "Cause every time you touch me I just die in your arms. Oh, it feels so right."

"So baby baby please don't stop boy." Maka finished, turning her head to kiss Soul on the cheek.

At this point, Soul was sobbing. His tears stained her hospital gown. Maka's hand reached up and cupped his face. He leaned into her palm, relishing in her touch.

"I love you so much," he sobbed. He knew that he didn't have much time left.

"I love you so much, Soul." Maka said to him. she lifted his chin to have him look at her, her eyes full of tears as well.

Soul leaned in and pecked her gently on the lips. He rested his forehead against hers.

"It's not goodbye, you know." He said in a shaky voice.

Maka smiled at the white-haired boy. "I know. It's only some time in between." She said.

Maka's breathing and heart rate was slowing down.

"I love you." Soul said as Maka leaned back into his chest.

A small smile made it's way to her lips. "I love you too."

Maka looked at Soul, wanting her last sight to be him. Soul stared into the emerald-green eyes, cherishing how they still shone despite her condition.

Soul felt the connection to her wavelength weakening, knowing what was happening. He kissed her on the forehead as tears fell down his face.

---

There was a slight breeze the day of the funeral. It wasn't too hot, and it wasn't too cold.

Everyone from the academy was standing at the cemetery. Instead of all black, they wore white in honor of their fallen comrade.

---

"Black is too depressing." Maka said one day. "At my funeral, I want people to wear white. A little black is okay, but mostly white."

"Why? You'll get better, Maka. Don't think about that sort of stuff." Soul said. Maka just came out of surgery and he was tucking her in the bed.

"Well I want my funeral to be a celebration of my life. My life wasn't depressing." The girl said with a smile.

---

Everyone had gone ahead to Kid's manor for the reception. All except Soul. He planned on going later.

Soul loosened his tie as he approached the tombstone and placed a kiss on the top of the rock. He then took a seat near the freshly buried grass and sighed.

"I know it's not goodbye." He whispered. Soul felt a spike inside of him, knowing that Maka was around.

He smiled. "Yes, I know you're always with me." He said, answering the spike in his wavelength.

"I'll take care of myself, don't worry." Soul said as he looked up to the sky, imagining Maka's smiling face and emerald-green eyes.

Soul stood up and brushed the dirt off his pants. He placed another kiss on the tombstone before tracing the engraving on it.

Maka Albarn: Friend, Family, Lover.

'It's Not A Goodbye'

Soul walked out of the cemetery to Kid's house, singing under his breath.

"If I could just die in your arms," he sang as he walked, hands in his pockets.

Hey everyone! I decided to do a story that's a bit more sad, but still a bit happy.

Can you guess what song I based this story off of? The winner gets an internet cookie!

Anyways, thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed! Feel free to vote and leave a comment, and add to library if you want to be updated whenever I write a new story!

I promise to update as soon as I can; end of the marking period is coming up this week and I'm playing a lot of catch up.

DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND NEVER TAKE PHYSICS.