Chapter Four

Judiah...

Being black and white wasn't easy around here. I was hated by blacks and also hated by whites. Names were thrown at me everyday. Yellow boy, one of the most common ones that I was called. I've learned to not let it affect me to much. When my mother was alive she always told me that no matter what the other kids said, I'd still be special. As I sit on the bench I kick the gravel around. I wish I could run away to a world more fair but I knew that no matter what, nothing would ever be perfect. The bus pulls up in front of me and I stand from my seat. I dig a nickel out of my pocket before boarding the bus. I place the money in the dispenser and make my way towards the back.
"Mind if I sit here?" I ask a guy who was staring out the window.

 He glances over at me and gives me a quick shrug

"I don't matter to me." He grumbles and I take a seat next to him. I keep taking glances at him eventually making him chuckle. "You into me or sum man?" He jokes and I clear my throat nervously.
"N-no! I've just never seen you around here..." I admit and he nods his head.
"Just moved here not to long ago. They was tryna accuse me of rape down in the Bronx and not only that a brotha needed a job. I barley even got a place to stay!" He explains and I frown.
"That's tough... it's not much better up here..." I say and he laughs.
"Oh I know but people don't know me here in Auburn... I ain't gotta worry about much yet." He chuckles and I look down to play with my fingers.
"I'm Judiah..." I introduce myself. He gives me a smile before extending his hand out to me.
"Tupac, but I mostly go by my middle name, Amaru." He says and I grasp his hand to shake it.
"Where'd you find a job?" I ask as I look back into his eyes.
"The meat packaging factory." He says before licking his lips.
"That's where I work... headed there now. The boss can be real hard on people so be careful in there..." I say and he laughs.
"People? You mean me? And what do you know about it? You're a yellow boy.. they treat you just like them." He says and I look away from him.

"Yeah... right." I mutter and look towards the front of the bus.
"You prolly got it real good around here." He laughs and I clench my jaw.
"I wish what you were saying was true... I got my life threatened just for exchanging a few words with a little white girl." I say and he raises his brows.
"Damn... I'm sorry for assuming things man." He mumbles and I shrug.
"It's alright... I'm used to it." I say softly as the bus comes to a stop. A girl gets on the bus in a light blue dress. Her blonde curls bounce as she talks for a moment with the driver. She puts in here money and turns. My heart beats wildly in my chest as her face comes into view. "M-Mary?" I ask and she looks up. She places a beautiful smile on her face and makes her way towards me.
"Judiah! Hi!" She says and grabs my hand. She pulls me from the seat next to Amaru and sits across from him. I wipe my sweaty palms on my pants and shyly look over at her.

I glance over at Amaru and he shakes his head and chuckles.
"Where are you headed?" Mary asks as she grabs one of my large hands.
"Work..." I manage to get out as o watch her play with my fingers.
"You're probably wondering why I'm on the bus..." She giggles and intertwines our fingers. She was a strangle girl; we barley knew each other and she's all over me.
"Yes... I was..." I trail off and catch her blue eyes with mine.
"I just wanted to get away from my father. Can I apologize for his actions a few weeks ago? I'm so sorry for that. I don't understand why my kind is so... so...-"
"Prejudice." Amaru says from his seat. Mary looks up at him and nods her head.
"Yes! Prejudice! It's sickening." She says before laying her head on my shoulder. I swallow down the lump in my throat and look up at him again. His brows are raised and he has a smirk on his face.

"Well this is my stop... I'll catch you later." I say to Mary and she nods.
"Can we hang sometime? Maybe go out for diner or something?" She asks and I lick my lips.
"Sure... see you around." I say before getting up and stepping from the bus.
"She's feeling you." Amaru says with a chuckle as we walk closer to the factory doors.
"Yeah?" I ask with a blush. He nods and pushes the doors open. I let the boss know I'm here before going straight to work.
...

"So earlier you were talking about a place to stay..." I say as I cut into the raw meat that sat in front of me. Amaru glances at me for a short moment and nods.
"Yeah..." He trails off. I lick my lips and place the cut meat into a freezer bag.
"My house its... its big enough for two." I say shyly and he nudges my arm with his elbow.
"You ain't gotta do that brotha..." He says softly.
"But I want to! I-I.... it gets lonely honestly. A big house with just me in it... well my cat too but she's off hiding most of the time. Also you're really the only person that I now talk to. I talk to Brandi but she's still a young girl and I'd like to hang out with a male friend sometimes..." I ramble and he chuckles to himself.
"You're antisocial! You're like a nervous reck Judiah." He laughs making me blush a deep red. I drop my head low and focus on the butchering that had to be done in front of me. "Hey don't take it to the heart man! You need to live a little. I guess I can take you up on that offer though. Maybe being around me will help you get out of that little shell you're in." He laughs making me let out a small smile. Silence runs between us as we both continue doing our jobs.
"Do you have family?" I ask as I place the last of the meat into another freezer bag.
"Nah... my momma died giving birth to me and my daddy left before she could even tell him she was pregnant. I don't know either sides of their families. I was up in foster care until a couple years ago." He speaks and I frown.
"Wow... I'm sorry." I mumble and take off my dirty gloves.

"Don't be man it ain't your fault. I've been on my own my whole life. When I feel like I can't take it no more I just tell myself, listen Tupac life might be hard but you'll get through it... you just always gotta keep ya head up." He coaches and I smile. The clock strikes eight at night and I sigh in relief. Twelve hour shifts killed me five days a week but it kept decent money coming in.
"We gotta hurry and get out of here, that bus comes in about ten minutes." I say to Amaru and he nods and quickly cleans his station. In record timing we're out and standing at the bus stop.
"Well won't you look at you..." Amaru flirts as a young dark skin woman passes us. She blushes and picks up her walking pace. "I like the shy ones! I hope to see you around beautiful!" He calls out to her and I laugh to myself. "What're you laughing at blondie? The ladies dig me." He says as he playfully dusts his shoulder off. "Let me see you work ya game..." He says pointing at another girl who was coming down the street towards us.
"O-oh no... I can't." I smile bashfully and he bumps my shoulder.
"Come on man! Just do it!" He urges and I sigh. The woman comes closer and I nervously lick my lips.
"H-hi..." I get out as she comes a few feet away. She gives me a smile and waves. "You have a-a pretty face." I say and she giggles as she shakes her head.
"I've been told." She winks before continuing on her way.

"What was that?!" Amaru ask and I bite my bottom lip.
"I complimented her..." I say softly and he shakes his head with a laugh.
"Brotha you need to work on ya game..." He says as the bus pulls up. We hop on, pay our fees and make our way towards the back.

 We hop on, pay our fees and make our way towards the back

I stare out the window as the streets pass by. Lights light up the little city, capturing my eye.
"Tell me about your parents." Amaru says making me look over at him.
"My momma died of cancer a few years back and like you I never knew my father. He's some rich white man I guess, that's the reason why I live in the decent house that I do. My mother was a sweet woman. She was a wonderful mother." I smile softly and he does also. My stop comes up and I begin to stand from my seat. "I'll catch you tomorrow." I say to him he nods and gives me a firm handshake.
"Thank you for inviting me to your home. I really appreciate it." He says and I nod.
"It's no problem, if you need any help moving your things in I'll help you out." I say before we say our goodbyes and I hop off of the bus.
______________________
💕 comment/ vote