X X X V I

36

His dark hair slips between my pale fingers. He gives my leg a little kiss. I sigh seeing what he's trying to do.

"Stop trying to stall and answer the question." I speak lowly to him in the room he grew in.

"We age normally..." He says, relaxing into me further. "Until we're 18 we just stop aging." Devin comes across my mind.

I try putting the peices together. "So it's just like the regular world. When your 18 you're allowed to get piercings and tattoos."

"Wrong." I look at his calm body. "They appear when you turn 18, little by little. Genetics is apart of it, that's why Devin and I have them; we took after dad."

Beautiful...

"Every one of them matches our personality, has meaning to some aspect of our life. The piercings, we do that ourselves."

"So do you guys even call them tattoos?"

"Markings." He starts to go back to my original question. "Then when you move out of your parent' house, you start aging again; stopping when you're 21. After your first child is born, you start to age again. Then you stop aging completely when you're 30."

Wow...So we'll stay young forever.

"So...it's like that for everyone, men and women?"

"Yes." He gets up, my lap feels cold now.

_

I stand in a big white room alone. The walls and floor glow with white lights.

The council brought in their best doctors to run tests on me; to see if I'm healthy and how its possible for me to be pregnant.

I hug my bare skin. Trying to feel less uncomfortable. I know unfamiliar eyes stare dissecting me.

A door appears, signaling that I'm done. It brings me back into the check up room.

Ace sits in the chair his head hung low looking defeated.

My clothes scattered on the firm hospital bed.

He looks at me making me freeze.
"How do you feel?" His eyes never wander.

I become extremely nervous, "Nervous."

I pull my clothes back over us.

A women with a long white lab coat and icy blonde hair enters the room.

"Hello." She says, a big smile on her face.

Ace just sits there unamused, not looking in her direction.

He stares at me bothered...

"Hi." I reply, I meant to make it sound enthusiastic. I just want to know the damn results.

"I'm Doctor-"

"Just tell us the damn results." Ace groans.

She clears her throat, thrown off by Ace. "Well...your body isn't as strong as it needs to be to give birth to an oblivion child."

Ace tenses up a little.

"But I am oblivion..." I say to her feeling she doesn't know what she's talking about.

"Yes, you are now. You weren't born this way. So your body will never fully be strong enough to handle the birth of an oblivion child."

I look at Ace who stares off irritated. "But we never know, since this child is half mortal and oblivion."

I sigh, Jonah moves around a little. I wonder if he understands.

"If you we're originally born an oblivion, your body would be able to handle it. It's unclear, so we say you have a 50/50 chance of surviving the birth."

I breath with relief that there's a chance. "Other than that, It'll be a normal pregnancy; so you'll carry the child for two months, you'll have fainting spells, and you won't show."

She gives us one last huge smile, "Are there any questions?" She asks the both of us.

I look at Ace, he sighs heavily staring at the ground.

"No. Thank you." I say to her before she gives one more smile leaving the room.

"It's her job." He speaks up now.

"What?"

He stands, "It's her job. No need to thank her."

I scoff, "Stop being like that." Picking up my jacket from the ground.

"Like what?" His voice dark.

Facing him, "Look, this is a lot for me too."

I whisper, "We have to stay positive if we want Jonah to have two parents." The last part more to myself.

He hears and huffs as a I pull my jacket over me.

Resting his hands on the back of his neck dropping his head back.

I cry, I'm so scared.
Scared of what comes next... Scared I won't be there for my son.

He takes my face in his hands kissing my forehead gently. "Are you sure you don't want to find out the gender?"

I laugh a little sniffling. "I know it's a boy." Rubbing my stomach some, "I can feel it."