Chapter One

"Henry has become a master winesman," I boast warmly to the group of diplomats surrounding the table. Henry's strong, piercing green gaze is set upon me across the elegantly arranged table, a small telling smirk on his face.

"She's too free with her praises," Henry murmurs, eying the guests to the crown who are positively eating from his hand. "I simply dabbled in it while in France."

"Is that so?" the American Ambassador asks. Maryanne Warden, who is known for her large, curly mane and brain the size of Mars. "I've always found it so interesting. Was it difficult?"

"For me, extremely," he says, laughing. "But that may be due to my lack of concentration. When Mia's nearby, I tend to have a hard time doing anything... The most recent dabble is actually named after her."

"Is it?" Caroline Linely hums, blushing. "That is so sweet... isn't it, Harry?"

Her husband, the Prime Minister, smiles, only to appease her, I think. Harold Linely has only recently begun showing interest in Henry and I. While Henry proposed to beat Richard at his own game a week ago, it turns out it's not going to to be so hard after all. An article printed, leaking details of a conversation Richard had with an 'unknown source'. In the article, Richard was pinned as a power hungry tyrant who doesn't have Englands needs and wants at hand. It caused massive backlash, so much so that he had Henry attend the State Banquet with me on his arm.

"It is. Your wife has much influence over you."

"She does," Henry says, not taking Harold's remark as a insult, as I do. "As a wife should, aren't I right?"

Harold nods, remaining silent. His wife looks at him, resting her hand on his thigh. Although he is probably a good twenty years older than her, she has a gleam in her eyes, a hopefulness.

"It's a pity Richard couldn't attend. He's under the weather?"

Henry nods, his face emotionless. Everyone at this table knows otherwise. "Yes, unfortunately."

"Nothing too serious, I hope? We do have the chancellor meeting tomorrow."

"No, not serious. A mere cold... he will be at the meeting."

"As will you?" Harold asks. Henry purses his lips, unable to hide his suspicion.

"Mia has a doctor's appointment... I shall be with her in the morning."

Harold sets down his scotch, glancing at the other British members of Parliament at the table. "Well, if you get out sooner than planned, why don't you stop on by? We could use another voice at the table."

"Oh, Harold. You and I have very different views on things," Henry says, jokingly, picking up his drink. Every single person around the table seems to freeze or shrink in their seats.

"Well... maybe not on everything," Harold says, smirking slightly. I catch the look of shock on Henry's face at Harold's quip, but it's fleeting, replaced by a very talented poker face. I don't think anyone studies his face as I do.

"If I can make it, I will," Henry states, raising the glass to his lips. The other guests hesistatingly begin to enter conversation again as my baby hits the walls of my belly hard. I press my hand to my stomach, rubbing slowly and gently.

When there isn't another kick, I glance up at Henry, watching him speaking quietly to Maryanne. His eyes seem to know when mine are on him because they flicker my way. I see worry behind the beautiful color.

I don't get the chance to speak privately with him until people begin departing.

"What was that at the table?" I ask, looking at the door instead of at him. He leans against the pillar, watching the Prime Minister help his wife with her coat.