Chapter Thirty-Seven

The basement is unnaturally cold. There is a long, creaky staircase that leads down into the room. I walk down the steps, followed by Jack Crow, who is holding a duffel bag heavy with various torture devices. Nicole is handcuffed to a chair, her face bent towards the ground although she knows we're there.

I can truly only see out of one eye as I bend down before her. My fury feels endless. "Nicole."

"... Will you bury him?"

"Your lover?"

She looks up, her eyes dark. "Yes."

I breathe in. "He will be thrown into an unmarked grave. Which is an act of mercy, I could destroy his reputation even further in death."

"He deserved better than this... He loved me."

"You should have continued on without him. He'd be alive right now if you had."

Her crystal clear eyes flicker to Jack, nervously. We're completely alone, the guards sent outside.

"Who's that?"

"Where is my son?" I utter, ignoring her question, lifting my brows. "Where are the children?"

"Do you actually think I'm going to tell you?" she growls, with an ignorant scoff.

I nod, resting my arms on my knees. "I do."

She shakes her head, smiling angrily. "You might as well kill me. I'm not going to tell you- I never will."

My lids lower, maliciously. "Is that so?"

"Yes! Then all of this would be for nothing! You've killed Leroy! You-"

"Let me tell you what's going to happen, Nicole, if you do not tell me Alexander and Samuel's location, right now." I straighten, gesturing to Jack Crow. "My man will torture you until you scream for him to stop. Until you beg me to let you speak. He will start by breaking each of your fingers one by one- and then will go to your arms, ending at the legs. If you haven't spoken by then, he will tie you to a table and pour water down your throat to make it feel like you are endlessly drowning. He will stop to let you breathe only long enough so you survive the next set."

She has the gall to look surprised by my malice and it only infuriates me further. She doesn't seem to realize that she's not the only monster in this room. I can be one too.

"So, I suggest you tell me now."

"You're not a torturer, Henry. You couldn't watch him do that to me, a woman."

I chuckle softly, crossing my arms over my body. I can barely see through the pain coursing through my body. Beads of sweat are soaking the back of neck, making my hair damp.

"You'd be surprised to know how far I'd go to keep the ones I love from harm, Nicole...You've threatened everything I have ever loved. You almost ended my life- and my advisors life. You have kidnapped my son, holding your own child's life against me. You conspired against your king, you have made decent men into traitors! And you will not escape my wrath, Nicole. Not this time."

"Are you done with this intimidation game yet?" she asks, stubbornly. I have to close my eyes to reign in my temper. When I open them, they flicker to Jack.

"You may begin," I command. She finally looks frightened as he drops his bag onto the ground, the contents inside clanging loudly against the cement as he walks over to her. I resist flinching when he grabs her handcuffed hand.

"Henry, no-"

He breaks her index finger, bending it back into a clean break. Her severed bone has pierced the skin of her palm. Her scream is shrill, and immediately transforms into panicked sobs.

"Tell me where my son is," I repeat, coldly. She doesn't make a move until she looks my way, spitting to the ground by my feet.

"Your son is dead."

Despite the feeling of bile in my throat at her words, I don't believe her. She's trying to wound me. I look to Jack, nodding again. He breaks the next finger and she shakes in the chair, getting louder. I walk towards her, bending down.

"We will do this all night," I whisper, menacingly. "This man is a machine. He is highly trained to make sure his captives survive his brutalities. His savagery is so powerful that I only call him when he's truly needed."

"I told you he is dead. Your precious baby boy, the heir to the throne is dead," she breathes, shaking with anger.

"You're a fucking liar," I snarl, slamming my hand against the chair. "Again!"

I face the wall, realizing how dark my soul is as she screams. How consuming my hatred is. I've heard three more bones crack, her entire hand before she begins to plead.

"Please, stop Henry! I'll tell you! I'll tell you!"

"I thought he was dead?" I growl, turning back to her. Her hand looks deformed. She shakes her head, shuttering.

"No, no, he isn't. I lied."

"Where is he?"

"He is with a man in Paris. In room 5b at the Villa de France... S-Samuel is there too."

"What is this man's name?"

"I don't know."

I suck in a breath, smirking and her lip trembles.

"I swear, I don't! He doesn't give it out!"

"I don't believe you," I utter, shaking my head. She swallows, looking between Jack and I.

"I'm not lying! A-At least have someone check!"

I bend down beside her. "You do know if you are lying to me, this will get only get worse," I whisper, without feeling. I despise her so much I feel nothing at the thought of her pain.

"I know. I know it," she gasps, nodding. Her tears do not stop flowing.

I stand up, with a curt nod and walk to the stairs. "You will remain with Jack until I return. If I get to the Villa and there is no one there in room 5b, Nicole, I will make sure he resumes before I arrive back."

"But what if he's run with them! He could have b-because he hasn't heard from me!" she shouts with fear.

"Then for your sake, you better hope he's still there," I utter darkly as I start up the steps.