Chapter Eight

A/N: Looooong chapter. xx

On all fours and covered in dirt, I dig into the earth, stirring up the dark soil. The rose seeds are ready for planting beside me alongside a rather large book on gardening. Completely alone, I'm in a tranquil state, finding comfort in the solace.

I wipe my forehead with my forearm, knowing I must stop soon. But for now, I keep going. I want these to be in bloom when Henry arrives.

...

For the first time in months, I step down the stairs in elegant attire. The manor is full of guests. Ida convinced me to host a party, however, I've never done it without Henry nearby. I fix the ruby necklace Henry got me for my birthday to match my engagement ring. Walking in black stilettos and a simple black dress ending around my ankles, I feel my face flush by the time I reach the bottom.

I've lost all the baby weight, not because I've been trying. It's falling off me nowadays from my lack of appetite. Ida fits right into the crowd, in a elegant pant suit we bought yesterday for this specific event.

In the warm yellow candle light, the manor looks ancient and very English. I smile when I catch sight of Royce, standing beside Angie. I walk through the crowd towards them, nervous they'll see the sickness beneath the makeup.

I blink in shock when a man moves out of the way, giving me view of Arnold chatting with them.

"Mia! We've been looking everywhere for our hostess!" Royce exclaims, kissing my forehead. I hum, leaning into his full frame. I reach for Angie's hand as Royce wraps his arm comfortably around my shoulder. He's definitely had a few drinks.

"I'm glad you could come..." I look up, finding Arnold staring at me. I don't understand the look. After a moment, his gaze falters and he smiles wide.

"I know I promised..." he starts but I shake my head, smiling.

"I'm glad to see you, Arnold. How are you doing?"

"Well. I co-own The Fountain now."

I gape. "No way."

He grins, nodding. "Yes way. It is a profitable venture to say the least."

"I invited Octavio and Oliver tonight... are they here?"

"They should be here somewhere. They are looking forward to seeing you after so much time."

I tilt my head. "I wish I could get out more, go see them. It's just so hard as of late."

Angie and Royce turn suddenly, becoming engrossed by the food table. I raise a brow at their sudden disinterest. He moves closer. "I... wanted to congratulate you on the birth of your son. We were all so disturbed to hear of the coma. We knew you'd pull through though."

I smile. "It was a difficult birth, but worth it."

"No doubt.  I'm sure Alexander's just like you."

I grin, touching his arm. "I need to see to some other people or they'll get offended. But don't go away. I'd love to hear about the club some more."

He nods, lifting his glass with a nod. "I'll be here."

...

I don't deny that halfway through the night I'm having trouble breathing. Surrounded by the crowds and smoke of cigars, I grab ahold of a chair, looking down at the floor to try and calm my heart.

"We finally meet."

I turn, quickly, finding a gorgeous, tall blonde staring intently at me. I recognize her face immediately.