Chapter Seven

The walls are stoney. Every single one. This place truly lives up to it's name.

Stoneham manor. My new home. The home Henry acquired for us after his brother bargained the three-month commonwealth trip for this place.

I cannot deny it's beauty, it's uniqueness. In many ways, it reminds me of France. Except Henry is not here to make me fall in love with it.

The reason France was our oasis was because it was the first time we accepted that we were going to be together for the rest of our lives. I truly believe the minute we arrived, we pledged ourselves to that place and to each other.

I experienced happiness there that I never thought I'd have.

My only sunshine now is Alexander, who keeps me occupied most of the day. I hate that I can't feed him myself. I lack the nutrients he needs. It's been over a month and a half now and I feel I am in a retreat. I don't really want visitors. I just want to walk the grounds with Alexander. It's actually getting warmer now. I cannot wait for summer.

Henry calls every night, as promised. He speaks for as long as he can until someone pulls him away. I always tell him I'm feeling better, even if I'm not, knowing I'd only scare him. In truth, Stoneham has done nothing for my health.

The doctor only notices declines in it. And unlike before, now I can truly feel it. I feel the soreness, the pain in my lungs when I exert myself too much. I am not taking to the medication.

And my fear has grown. Thankfully, Ida has remained with me, along with Mrs. Ike. Henry left two new bodyguards to remain in the house, while the grounds are secured with men. This isn't like France though, there is no one throwing stones or breaking into our rooms anymore, which is a relief.

Mrs. Ike steps out of the kitchen, holding a picnic basket. She smiles as I do. Ida appears with Alexander, kissing his forehead.

"Are you sure I cannot join you?"

I shake my head, taking the basket. "No, Ida will be with me. Thank you, though."

She nods. "Of course. Have fun... it's beautiful day."

We walk out of the front doors, into the rare sunshine.

...

"Have you spoken to Henry?" Ida asks, popping a grape into her mouth. I nod, ripping a piece of cheese.

"Every night," I murmur dully. She asks me this question every day.

"Did you tell him about the queen's suggestion?"

I chuckle. "That I get on more medication? No. He'd be livid. I'm not doing it anyway. I'm on enough as it is."

"Mia, he thinks you're getting better..."

"I will be better by the time he arrives. I still have another month." I look at her. "I have to be better."

"Then you must try to be happy, honey. You are clearly miserable without him."

I nod, setting down the cheese. I hear her hum.

"You are so much like your mama."

I look at her over my shoulder, smiling wider. "How so?"

"Your strength... I am very proud of you, Mia. You have been through so much and still, you push forward. You love and trust. She was the same. Completely crazy about your daddy."

I tilt my head, looking over the meadow. "Maybe we should invite some people over... have a small dinner? Maybe that could get our spirits up?"

She grins. "We? Do you think I could possibly hold a single conversation with any of your hoity-toity friends?"