Chapter Nine

I can't take my hands off of him. I can't stop smiling. I can't. As Henry talks to Mrs. Ike about a disgusting delicacy he ate on the trip casually with his arm around my shoulder, I rest my face against his chest, closing my eyes momentarily, enjoying this moment.

Richard let him come home. Henry doesn't know why and he said he didn't stick around to find out what it was. We are away from the palace, from the royal family and right here and now, I truly feel better than I have in months.

"I nearly vomited right there," he says, chuckling. "Maybe I should have. I probably would have been escorted onto the plane sooner."

"Grasshopper doesn't do it for me either," Mrs. Ike hums, glancing at me. I smile, content listening to them both. The baby monitor sounds, and Alexanders cries ring through the room loudly.

"He probably needs a change," I murmur, letting go of him. Henry smiles, softly.

"I'll be right up. I need to speak with Ivan and a few people before bed."

He takes my hand, kissing my palm gently. I'm grinning madly as I walk out.

...

As soon as I hear Mia's soft footsteps on the stairs, far from hearing, I focus on Mrs. Ike.

"I'd like to see the doctor in the morning, privately away from the house."

"Why?"

"Because Mia is stubborn and I need to know every detail of her health as I intend to do everything in my power to get her well again. I can't trust her to tell me when she's hurting."

Mrs. Ike smirks. "She is stubborn, that's for sure. I will call the doctor now to set it up at his office."

I nod. "And I'd like every book and study known to man on her condition. We need books on nutrition, meals to strengthen the heart most of all. What is her heart rate as of late?"

"Mia has sessions with the doctor privately... as the housekeeper here, I'm not allowed to question the king's doctor. She's never told me otherwise... I've just inferred by her movements and appearance."

I sigh, rubbing a hand through my hair. I need a shower. "Yes, she is clearly ill. I knew I needed to get here as soon as possible."

"I'm glad you did... she hasn't looked this happy in a very long time."

"Her smile is rather infecutious." I chuckle softly, leaning against the counter.

"She looked like she did in France."

I'm clearly taken aback by the comment, but in the best way possible. If I can get even a little piece of what we had in France and reestablish it into our lives now, I'm sure Mia could be happy here... even in England. "Make sure you call the doctor."

"I will right now... oh, sir."

"Yes?"

"I'm sure Mia will not tell you but I feel you should know... Annabelle came to the dinner party. She had words with Mia."

Fuck, what the hell was Annabelle doing here? "That can't be good."

"No... it wasn't. It pushed Mia over the edge, she became faint and even got a nose bleed. Arnold saw it, I think he knows she's ill. I don't think he'd say anything but he's called a couple times today to check up on her but she hasn't called him back."

I shake my head, frustrated. Arnold. She didn't mention he was here either. "Thank you for telling me."

I turn, opening the door, headed for the stairs. I check in the nursery first, and I find Mia in the rocking chair in the corner, Alexander cradled in her arms. They're both asleep. Worry takes precedence over my frustration when I realize she's only been gone mere minutes and she's already asleep upright. In the warm light, I see her sickness. It's taken over her face, making her skin pale and her cheeks sunken in. Her neck is smaller, even turned slightly now, she looks fragile.