Chapter Twenty-Six

"Place your foot in the stirrup," Henry says, one hand on my back, ready to help me up onto the gigantic stallion. I smile with excitement, touching the horse's white mane. Henry has gifted her to me, determined to show me how to ride her since a queen usually has her own horse.

I, however, have never even been around one before. I'm nervous. The saddle is high up. I clasp the reins and heave myself up, glad Henry is there because I loose my balance slightly when the horse shuffles.

I'm relieved when I'm sitting on her and she's still. I grin at Henry.

"What now?"

He goes through the movements of the reins, how to get her to stop, promising we'll take it slow. We're being watched by more than five stable hands but Henry seems to have everything under control. He walks to his horse, Magnus and mounts him with grace.

"Softly press your heels into her sides and she'll move," he states, flicking his reins. His horse moves forward immediately. I nod, copying his steps and my horse starts forward, a little faster than I expected.

"Pull gently on the reins to slow her down," Henry commands firmly. I'm glad when she slows down into a stroll beside Magnus. I smile wide at the fact that I'm actually riding a horse.

"You like it?" Henry asks. I nod, ready for more.

"I want to go faster."

"I don't know about that," Henry says, amused.

"I'm fine. We're fine, aren't we, beauty?" I ask, running my hand lightly over her mane.

"A little faster," Henry reluctantly agrees after a moment and I press into her sides.

"Go girl."

She moves forward faster than before but I'm not scared. I feel a rush, my adrenaline pumping. I love this. She gallops with grace into the trail behind the palace. I can't help but grin when Henry catches up with me, his mouth gaped in shock and perhaps disapproval. I laugh, looking forward as we come around a lake, yellow and orange leaves from the forest reflected into the water.

There is a chill in London, so within a few minutes with the wind coming at me full-force, my nose begins to run. I glance at Henry as he rides, his hands tight on the reins. I am amazed at the fact that I've never seen him ride. He turns his face to me then, before pointing out at a open patch of ground. I nod, heading for it.

As we come upon it, I press my heels in, pulling back of the reins and my horse begins to stop. I hold on for dear life as she does, unused to the roughness of it. When she fully stops, I look up, releasing a breath of relief.

"I said a little faster, you know that right?" Henry says, breathlessly chuckling as Magnus circles around us.

"That was amazing," I gasp, shaking my head in disbelief. Henry gets off his horse, grabbing onto the reins. I watch as he ties them onto a branch.

"Are you sure you've never done this before?" he asks, coming by my horse. He holds up his arms and I grab onto his shoulders, getting off carefully. I huff when I'm back on the ground, my legs woozy.

Henry ties her as well and I smile watching them both begin to eat the grass. I lean into Henry as he wraps an arm around my shoulders, reaching up to clasp his hand.

"You look like a born rider," he says as we walk forward, completely relaxed. I smile, glad to hear it.

"I want to be a great rider."

"You have to come at dawn sometime. It's unbelievable."

"You'll be with me?" I ask, smiling. I look up at him and his expression mirrors mine.