Chapter Twenty-Two

A/N: A lot going on in this chapter. It's a long one to make up for the wait. xx

I stare into the window, smiling softly as Ida hands Mia Alexander. Mia is grinning from ear to ear, looking exhausted but completely optimistic.

Doctor Overton is standing directly beside me, his arms crossed over his chest.

"She will need bi-weekly visits for the first few months, where we will conduct multiple exams to ensure that her body is accepting her new organ."

I'm unable to tear my eyes off of her. "What... are the odds that her body won't? I mean, we waited for a good match, that means our chances are greater, right?"

"Yes, sir. It does, of course. But that never guarantees the longevity of the organ."

I press my lips together, and turn to look at him. "Longevity of the organ?"

Overton frowns. "I mentioned this- before in our first meeting after Mia awoke from the coma. And a few times after. You surely remember?"

What the hell is he going on about? I shake my head, confused. "I don't understand, doctor. This has healed her, correct?"

He nods. "Yes, her body is taking well to the new heart organ. There are, of course, precautions that will need to be taken for the rest of her life such as healthy diets, medications. The longest a person has lived after a heart transplant, sir, has been thirty-three years, one man."

I place my hands on my hips. "You're telling me the best Mia can hope to live is... not even sixty?"

He shakes his head, looking surprised I'm asking. "Unless she is an exception or new drugs are produced to prolong the life of the organ. Having the transplant gave you more time with her, sir... but 50 years is unheard of. Fifty percent of transplant patients live ten years past the surgery date."

"Ten years?" I breathe, wide-eyed. "My son would only be eleven. Sir, I am sure you did not mention this."

"I did, sir. To Mia as well. You told me to do whatever I had to so she would live."

"B-but, that is... I don't-" I'm speechless. I release a breath of uncertainty. How the hell did I miss this?

"I'm sorry you are shocked, sir. Last night, you signed a form that detailed the specifics as well... I promise I intended you to go into this completely aware of all possibilities... A heart transplant gives the patient more time, not a lifetime. You can, of course, opt for a second transplant if the time should arise where Mia's health declines later in life but the survival rating of that is less."

I cannot swallow. "I thought we'd have a lifetime," I whisper, gutted. "I... thought this was the end of it."

He remains silent and I look up at him, clearing my throat. "That sounds foolish I know."

"It's not foolish to hope for the best, sir. Mia has proven multiple times that she can withstand the worst kind of pain and pull through. She may very well be that person that lasts thirty plus years."

She wouldn't even be sixty. Best case scenario, Mia will live to sixty. Her heart will fail her- once again. I think of the pain I saw her endure, realizing that she will have to endure it again.

I look down, finding it difficult to breathe.

"I- don't think Mia knows this either, doctor. She would have said something."

He clears his throat, uncomfortably. "I will speak with her, of course. Again, I'm- stunned, sir. I was sure you knew-"

I hold up my trembling hand. "She's- alive now, sir. That's what matters," I whisper, just wanting him to leave me. Thankfully, he does, looking extremely unsure of what to do.