Chapter Twenty

I stare at Henry on the phone in the hallway, watching as his hand rubs his temples. He's talking in a panic, I know it. The doctor is silently checking my pulse, preparing for this terrifying surgery.

"Doctor," I whisper, not taking my eyes off of Henry.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Am... I going to survive this?" When he doesn't answer right away, I look at him. He smiles, touching my hand.

"You need to rest. You will be fine. You have the best doctors here to perform this operation."

I cough and feel sharp pain in my throat. "That's... a bullshit answer... and you know it."

"I need you entering this surgery with a clear mind, Mia. Try to not think of the worst."

I grab his hand and he looks startled. "Please, Doctor Overton. Tell me what my chances are." I struggle for breath without my mask, glancing at Henry who's not in the hallway anymore. I'm close to tears. "I have a son. A husband. I... need to know- what kind of goodbye I need to say. If the chance is slim that I will live... I want to be able to go into this- knowing I told him everything I needed to."

"Mia."

"Please," I beg, firmly. "I am calm. I just- want to know."

He looks down. "I will remind you again that you have the best doctors here to perform this surgery, firstly and that there is a chance you will come out of this." He clears his throat. "But... you should say everything you feel you need to."

I stare at him, still as stone.

"People who have gone through what- your body has, people who are as ill as you, as weak as your body already currently is, research says you have a 90% chance of-"

"Of what?"

"Not surviving, ma'am," he whispers, as if it pains him to say it.

That means I only have a 10% chance of making it out of this alive. I blink in shock, trembling but nod. "T-Thank you for- telling me."

"I will do everything humanly possible to ensure you see your family again. I promise, I will not give up until I have taken advantage of every opportunity to save you."

My tears are thick as I force a nod. I swallow, with difficulty, hating the never ending pressure on my chest.

"Doctor?" I ask, before he leaves. He turns, brows raised.

"Could... you bring me a pen and some paper, please?"

He nods, with a small smile. "Right away."

...

I'm literally paralyzed with fear as I watch Mia kissing Alexander's hair, closing her eyes tightly. I can tell even through the window that she's crying. I hate that. I just want to tell her that she's going to be okay.

That there is no way in hell that she can die. I won't let her die. I won't let her leave me. She can't.

But the way she's looking at Alexander makes me feel helpless. Ida is trying to hide her fear as I am, trying to keep Mia positive. And what is strange is she actually is positive. She's smiling. She's completely calm.

I don't know if I should be glad or terribly frightened.

...

My eyes follow Henry's body as he paces outside the room. He thinks I can't see him since the curtains are closed, but there is a small opening. And every five seconds, he passes by, his brows curved in thought.