IV-Stranger

"Sasha, are mom and Frank in bed yet?" I whispered as all three of us sat on her bed that night.

She got up and opened the door then slowly poked her head through the door frame, looking out into the kitchen.

"Yeah, they're sleeping I think." She whispered as she slowly closed over the door.

I looked at my phone, 3am.
Izzy was getting really sleepy, I could see her little eyes getting heavy so I figured that I should leave soon before she dozed off.

I pulled my backpack up onto my bed. I was packing light, only taking a few necessities with me. I was wearing a thick layer of clothing on my body, I tried to fit as many clothes as I possibly could onto myself without feeling uncomfortable. I figured this would help me with the cold outside but would also help me be able to bring more clothes with me.

I threw the backpack around my shoulders and looked at my two little sisters.

"Well...I guess this is it."

Sasha came rushing into my arms and squeezed me tight.

"Please be careful Codi." She said as she kissed my cheek.

"I will Sash. I promise."I said holding back my tears.

Izzy slowly walked up to me, tears filling her eyes.

"How long will you be gone?" She said as she took my hand with her tiny little fingers.

I crouched down to her level and flicked her hair out of her eyes.

"I don't know sweet heart, but hopefully not too long..." I paused, "but when I come back, things will be different, I promise." She bowed her head as a tear rolled down her cheek and she wrapped her tiny arms around me.

"And Sasha. Stick to the the plan ok? When they ask where I am you tell them that my friend had an emergency and that I have to stay with her, to help her."

She nodded as I stood up and stepped onto my bed.

"Bye guys. Be good ok?"

"We will Codi." Whispered Sasha as she pulled Izzy close to her.

I waved slowly to them and stepped out of the window and into the garden.

I knew this was risky.
Incredibly risky.
But I had to think about what could become of it. I was doing this for them. I didn't want their lives to end up ruined.
I didn't wish that on them.
I don't wish that on anyone.

Although I couldn't help but have a growing concern in my mind.

What if I got completely lost?

What if there were no bands in Seattle that wanted me?

I shook away the thoughts as best as I could and started my journey, walking on the long winding country roads of Kansas hoping and dreaming of a better future.
.
.

I walked for hours that night in complete darkness. The street lamps were all off and my only source of light was the big bright moon and the billions of tiny stars that illuminated the sky.

As sunrise arrived I was beginning to get sleepy but I didn't want to let that stop me. I continued down the long country road until I arrived at a small town. I recognized the name.

"Andover"

That meant that I was heading in the right direction.

I didn't know exactly how to get to North Seattle but I had an idea of the general direction I should be heading. I knew that it was incredibly far away.

Miles and miles away.

I checked my phone again, 7am

I checked my phone again, 7am. I was kinda proud of myself for walking that far without a break.
I made a quick pit stop in a small grocery store. I bought a small sandwich and a two litre bottle of water. I didn't bring much money with me, only 60 dollars. That's all I had lying around in my room.

We never got pocket money at home, we never got any money or presents for our birthdays either, or Christmas. We were lucky if we even had a Christmas dinner. Frank didn't believe in Christmas.

"It's a load of religious shit! The sooner you realise that the better!" He would say to my mom when she begged him to buy at least one present for Sasha,Izzy and I.

I don't think that we ever had a party in that house and we weren't exactly the type to get invited to parties either.
.
.

I decided to have a small nap on the sidewalk outside the grocery store. It wasn't exactly comfortable but at that point I didn't really care, I just needed somewhere where I could rest my eyes for a few hours.

As I started to drift off I was suddenly awoken by the sound of a deep voice above me,

"Hey, you okay kid?" Said the voice of a man.

I pushed my long fiery red hair out of my eyes and looked up at him. He was tall and had a long straggly beard, he was wearing a blue bandana, sunglasses and a leather bikers jacket. Yep, definitely a biker, I was sure of it.

"Oh, um, yes. Just having a nap."

He smiled at me, "are you sure?"

I nodded as he started to walk away, "Hey wait!" I called, "Do you think you could take me in the Seattle direction? It would help me out a lot!"

He chuckled, "you're going to Seattle? That's miles away kid!"

I stood up and shook the mud off of my skinny jeans.

"Please... Just in that direction."

"You're lucky. That's the direction I'm headed. Okay I'll take you I guess." He winked and we both started to walk over to his motorbike.

He got onto his bike, motioning for me to hop on behind.
I got on and we started our long drive. I'd never ridden on a motorcycle before, it was all so new to me, so scary to me and so strange.

It's a weird thing to put all of your trust into a complete stranger, to seek comfort in them, and to leave your fate between their hands.