Chapter 7- Osmond

For the first time in a long while, Osmond wasn't doing anything. He wasn't listening to music or composing his piece or doing his homework. He was just lying on his bed, his grey eyes fixated on the plain white ceiling above him as he thought about something he shouldn't be thinking about.

Carmen Huego.

Such a strange person. After spending so much time with the kid it became clear that he wasn't as simple as Osmond originally thought, but completely complex, just in a simplistic way. One second he'd be smiling and laughing and the next his cheeks would be pink and he'd be avoiding eye contact. Simple actions with complex meanings.

These changes in character were causing some problems as Osmond tried to compose his piece for the other.

No, he reminded himself. Not for the other. If Osmond had his say Carmen would never hear the finished song, never know that it was written as Osmond thought of exclusively him.

It was just about him. That was it.

But it was getting hard, even for Osmond. As soon as the younger had left him alone in the music room he had gone back to the song, staring at the beginning once more and adding more complex rhythms to his right hand while keeping the left hand as simple as it always had been. This, for some reason was difficult for Osmond and he was having trouble playing exactly what was in his head with his hands.

It was annoying to him.

So instead of getting even more angry over it by staring at the pages of composition paper and trying to imagine how it would sound in his head, he just laid there, wishing, for once, that something would come and distract him from the piano.

It only took a few more minutes before his request was answered.

Ezra sounded exactly the same over the phone as he did in person, so it was no wonder that the second he spoke Osmond was annoyed. "What are you doing tonight, Oz?" The older boy asked, sounding tired and Osmond immediately wanted to snap at him.

"Nothing". Osmond had the talent of making literally everything he said angrily, and he often used it when talking to Ezra.

The other boy laughed softly on the other end. "No really, what are you doing?"

"I refuse to repeat myself," Osmond declared, but then did anyways. "I'm really doing nothing".

"Oh," Ezra said, sounding surprised with this. It was annoying.

"Why are you calling me, Ezra. I'm busy doing nothing".

"That doesn't make sense".

"I'd rather be doing nothing then talking to you over the phone," Oz explained and the other boy went ahh in understanding.

"Well if you're doing nothing," Ezra said, "I'm coming to get you". Osmond sat up in bed, holding the phone to his ear with his shoulder.

"Are you now?"

"Well I'd like to". Osmond raised his eyebrows, both loving and hating the familiar way that they had begun to speak with one another.

Since Adrian had left for school, and Ezra began to understand what it felt like to not be Adrian's first priority. Apparently they had bonded over this without either of them really realizing.

"Where would we be going?" Oz asked, still sounding annoyed, possibly even more so after thinking about how close he had grown to the man on the other end of the phone. How he even had begun to care about him. How they could possibly be considered friends.

"To dinner," Ezra explained and Osmond's eyebrows shot up. They both remained silent then and Ezra cleared his throat. "You don't have to come. Spence and Liam are making me go with them and I don't really want to be a third wheel to a married couple, especially since my boyfriends is, well, you already know". Osmond did, but he still didn't respond. "Please Oz. It's just one dinner. I'll even pay for you".

"You don't need to do that," Osmond said, groaning when he realized he was about to accept the offer. "When will you be here?"

"Yeah?" Ezra asked, sounding a bit excited and Osmond snorted.

"I hope you realize that you're not going to enjoy your evening. I'm still going to be a despicable as ever".

"I was hoping so," Ezra said, shuffling around on the other end of the phone. "It's not very fun when you're being agreeable. I'll be there in ten minutes". Osmond hummed in response as the man hung up on him. He dropped his phone.

It had just occurred to him that he probably should have asked Ezra what to wear, but then remembered that he didn't care, and even if he did, he'd be okay.

Osmond typically wore button down t-shirts and dark colored pants. It was easier for him to look somewhat formal all the time so he didn't get caught off guard when he actually was expected to look nice.

His aunt looked up at him as he walked into the dining room, and then smiled softly. "What are you up to, kid? I was just going to start dinner for you". It was the words for you that let Osmond know that his aunt wasn't planning on staying in that night, though he should have suspected since she was wearing a dress and not her usual weekday sweats and hoodie.

"Ezra's coming to get me". His aunt looked delighted, her lips parting probably to say something along the lines of what a great boy, or something similar, and Osmond raised a hand to stop her. "I don't know when I'll be home".

Jane bit her lip, trying to hide a smile as she nodded. He hated how excited his aunt got whenever he went out. She was just happy for him since he was getting to do the things that she never got to do once her childhood had been stolen, and it made him feel more guilty that anything else did.