Chapter 5

•New York | August 26th, 2022 | 10:57pm•

It's been such a long stressful day but my shift is finally almost over so I'm grateful for that. Hopefully Erika doesn't make me have to close the store or I'm going to be here for another two hours cleaning up the store and putting sneakers back. The only plus when you work till closing is that you get paid extra, but it's not that much extra so I'll pass.

"Thank you for shopping at footlocker, have a nice night" I said with a fake smile to the customer I just took care of

I was heading to the employee room to clock out when one of the customers stopped me.

"hey uh can I get this in a size twelve?" He asked

I didn't even look at him, I just grabbed the shoe and walked into the shoe room. I hate the fact that you can't tell a customer that you're about to be off your shift so you can't help them. I did that once and Erika made me stay another hour then on top of that made me close the store so I left at 2 am.

I looked down at the sneaker and started to look for it in the shelves. That's one if the hardest parts of this job, looking for one type of shoe in a room with hundreds of different sneakers. I finally found what he was looking for but we didn't have a size twelve since it was a popular shoe. So instead I brought him an 11 1/2 and a 12 1/2. It's kind of weird that we have those sizes and not a 12, but then again sizes 8,10, and 12 are the most common sizes for men.

Finding him was kind of difficult since I didn't look at him while he spoke. The only way I knew it was him was that he had been staring at me while I was walking around the store. The nigga was fine as fuck I must say.

"we don't have twelve but you can try these on, anything else I can help you with?" I asked secretly hoping he would say no

"nah thanks" He said grabbing the boxes "wait...you're Malachi right?"

"yeah" I said pointing at my name tag

"I listen to your music, was actually just bumping to one of your songs on my way here. You stopped making music to work at a footlocker?" He asked while sitting to try on the shoes

"nah that's not why, I quit so I could have time to focus on my education and my daughter. I need money though in order to do that, that's why I work here" I answered

"oh that's dope, I respect that. don't give up on music though, you got real talent. you're not like the new rappers these days who's only versus's are 'look at my dick, glock in my whip, boutta be rich, I fucked your bitch'"