Chapter 45

•New York | August 23rd, 2023 | 04:17am•

"August bro thank you so much" I said hugging him as soon as he locked up the van

"don't thank me, your friend called. I'm just glad he did because now I can just stay here till the wedding. I am your best man right?"

"of course" I said before giving him a dap

"aight I needa go talk to my boss. oh and Markus wants to see you before the ambulance takes him" He said patting my shoulder before walking past me

I turned around and began looking at everything. All the kids were in the car sleeping with a blanket around them. Vontez was getting checked out by one of the EMT's and Markus was laying down on a gurney while they wheeled him into the ambulance truck.

I walked up to him and grabbed onto his hand. That caused him to slightly open his eyes and smile to the best of his ability.

"hey" I said merely coming out as a whisper

"thank you" He said sincerely

"for what?"

"you chose my son over your daughter. thank you"

I wouldn't consider my decision as choosing his son over my own daughter. The only reason I did that was age, Masai needs more attention than Storm. Plus I wasn't gonna leave her behind, I just needed to buy some time.

I didn't say any of that though because that's not what he needs to hear right now, so I simply said "you're welcome".

"Malachi..."

"yes Markus"

"don't marry for family...marry for love"

What's that supposed to mean?

Before I could get the chance to ask him he let go of my hand and one of the EMT's pulled him onto the truck. I just pray they can save him. Out of all the people I have lost, Markus would be the one to truly destroy me.

I stood there looking confused. What do I do now? How do I move on from this? What's my next step?

I guess that question will be answered as time goes on. For now though I'm gonna take it one step at a time, that next step being marriage.

•August 25th, 2023 | 06:09pm•

"is this really necessary?" I asked whiled adjusting my tie in the mirror