Chapter Two

I heard a familiar bark, followed by footsteps from the stairs. Knowing exactly who it was, I made my way to the living room and crouched down, petting Holly. Dad smiled and pressed a kiss on my forehead, "How was school?" 

'Great!' I started jumping up and down. Call me childish, I'd take it as a compliment. Holly started getting excited as well. 'I made a new friend!' 

"Woah, really?" he grinned. "That's nice. No wonder you got home later than usual." 

We made our way to the couch, a normal day for the both of us. I sat down and tied my hair into a ponytail as he grabbed his stethoscope. He placed it on my chest for my checkup. 

I smiled widely, 'His name is Jimin!' the thought of him made my heart light. 'He's a dancer as well, and he told me we could dance together tomorrow!' 

Dad chuckled and took off the stethoscope, placing it on the table. "Alright. You feel okay today, right? You better not dance too long tomorrow." he handed me my pills, which I quickly took with a glass of water on the counter. 

I nodded, 'Can we visit mother today?' 

He frowned and looked out the window, "Ayumi, it's raining." 

I pouted and put on the cutest face I could. He sighed. "Alright.. we won't be out for too long, okay? Change your clothes into-" 

I clapped, something I did as a sign of 'okay' or 'got it', before darting upstairs, Holly following closely behind. I loved visiting my mom. It made my week a lot better. 

I changed into something not my style but was good for a rainy weather. I let my hair down, since I wasn't really fond of tying it in the first place. Holly barked, wagging her tail as she followed me downstairs. 

I got Holly 2 years ago. 

Dad always thought of me as a 'lonely girl', as I didn't have any siblings, and decided to buy me a dog. I loved animals, and when I got her, I was elated. 

I made my way to the kitchen and grabbed a bouquet on the counter. If you're wondering why there is one, it's because there's a nearby flower shop that's owned by a lovely family not too far from home. 

"Here." Dad handed me my umbrella. I always had weak health, so he was an overprotective dad. Not that I minded, I appreciate the things he does for me. 

We entered the car. 

I was always thankful. Though he wasn't my real father.. I'd never replace him for anyone else. When he found out I was mute as an infant, he started learning ASL for my sake. Where my real dad was now, I didn't know.. but that didn't matter. 

"Ayumi, we'll be having an appointment with Doctor Yang this Saturday." he stated, starting the car. I nodded slowly, since I hated going to the doctor. He realised my uneasiness and grinned. "Don't worry, we can get some waffles on the way home!" 

That made me feel better. I had a weird obsession with waffles. 

"Also, can you check if we have an extra umbrella back there?" he slightly turned his head. I shifted in my seat, and my gaze landed on a box. 

Out of curiosity, I grabbed it from its place. I gave him a confused look. He nodded with a smile, and I pulled off the lid. I found myself face to face with new sneakers. 

I cracked a smile. 

"Your sneakers have gotten way too small for you, so I got you new ones." he smiled. "Do you like them?" 

I nodded furiously and tackled him in a hug. Luckily, it didn't distract him from driving. I pulled away, a huge grin on my face. I started bowing as a sign of thanks. 

Soon, we arrived. The rain died down, and Dad stepped out of the car first, holding an umbrella for me. We walked inside the cemetery, and after a few moments, I knelt down in front of my mother's grave, placing the bouquet on it. 

'I love you, Mom.' I signed. I never got to see her in real life.  I never got to meet her personally. The only way I got to was watching her old videos, teaching dance. And the only video she ever acknowledged me in was her last. 

"My name's Moon Ayami," she smiled widely, waving at the camera. "And I'm here to show you the basics of dancing. How about we start with the fundamental steps?" 

Her voice comforted me. 

Now that I think about it, we did look alike. We had the same dark hair, same brown eyes..  

She inspired me to dance. 

I remember the first time I felt inspired. When she started doing a freestyle dance, a feeling inside of me grew, that.. I wanted to be a dancer like her. Or at least.. pursue her dreams for her. 

I remember her saying that she always wanted to be a performer - but she never got to be. But now, for her, I was going to be. When I do, it's going to be both of our achievement. This dream was for both of us. 

She deserved more. 

All she was able to do was teach people through videos that never became as popular, and why she was never offered opportunities, I'll never know. My dad never knew much.. why he didn't, that part was still blurry. 

But I decided to ask it now. 

I tapped his shoulder, and smiled softly. 'Dad.. can you tell me more parts about my family?' 

He pursed his lips, "Ayumi.. that doesn't-"

'Please.' I frowned, making him sigh. 

He darted his gaze away from me. "I guess it's about time.. Ayumi, I never knew your mother. If there's anyone I had relations with, it was with your father. But that was so long ago." 

My eyes widened. 

"He gave you to me when you were an infant, when your mother died of her disease." he started.. "He gave me her things, her tapes, her messages.. we were just friends. But since I felt so vulnerable at that time for losing my wife and son.. I took you in."

I blinked, not being able to process everything. 'Why did he give me away?' 

"Ayumi." he lets out a shaky breath and planted a hand on my shoulder. "Your mother.." 

I looked up at him. 

"Was a mistress." 

I didn't know how to process that. My mother always seemed so genuinely happy in her videos, yet.. this was what she had been through? 

"It wasn't her fault." Dad said, noticing the pained look on my face. "She fell in love, Ayumi. Your father did too. But she didn't know." 

An unfamiliar feeling swirled in. She didn't deserve this. And I thought my father.. was a good man. 

"And so your father left you with me. I haven't seen him since." he sighed and pulled me in a hug. I was so shocked, I didn't even cry. "But we have each other now.. that's what matters." 

I nodded as I felt him plant a kiss on my forehead. This was hard to take in. And finding out more about my family's past, my chest started to hurt. 

"Ayumi," he frowned, catching me from stumbling. "Let's go home." 

I still wanted to stay. But my body didn't want to. Dad helped me get inside the car, as my body started to ache overall. I should be used to this by now, but I wasn't. 

I was going to dance tomorrow.. 

That was for sure. I didn't want to disappoint a friend. 

I'd keep this up. 

--- 

Well.. this chapter has a lot of things to unfold.. 

Surely, this story will be a lot more fast-paced compared to my first one.  Many things'll happen. 

I don't really have much to say, except for the