Chapter Twenty-Three

What did he mean we'd always see each other? 

.. For my check-ups? 

Or.. 

for something else? 

I continued to stare at the ceiling. It's been a month.. how much longer? 

Everything was quiet as usual. Until I heard a sound from downstairs. Voices. Holly perked up and started barking, and I panicked. What was happening? I got up from my bed. Nobody was here but me and my dad. 

I heard shouting. But I couldn't make up what they were saying. Feeling all the pressure, I took a wooden pole behind my door, before walking outside. The voices became clearer. 

"Sir, you are under arrest for stealing." an unfamiliar voice stated. Realising that the cops were here, I fastened my pace, and expectedly found myself face to face with the police, attempting to handcuff my father. 

'What are you doing?' I signed. 

"This man here, stole from a neighbour." a woman spoke up, nodding to Dad. My heart started beating faster, and I waved my hands in front of me. 

'What are you talking about?' my brows furrowed. I was glad they understood ASL. 'We're not in debt. He has no reason to steal. Please tell me this is a joke?' 

I didn't bother hearing her answer, as I quickly made my way over to Dad. He was crying. He looked so tired. I didn't understand. 

'Do you have proof? None of you have proof!' I said, once looking at my Dad's condition. A man stepped up, holding up a bag and showing the money inside. 

"We have a footage to show what exactly has happened." he reasoned. "This case doesn't need to be solved in the court. He's going to be interrogated by an official in the police station, and you will, too." 

I ignored him. I made my way in front of Dad, 'Is it true?' 

Even the cops were silent. And after a while, he nodded. "Ayumi... my dear, I'm sorry." 

My mouth went agape, and my chest started to ache. Much worse. 'Why?' 

He didn't answer. Instead, he followed the cops' orders and started walking outside. The woman sighed, "You don't know anything about this.. miss?" 

I nodded slowly, 'He would never do such a thing! I know it. Please understand.' 

She motioned me to follow, "I understand.. but I can't do anything about it. As my co-worker said, you're going to have to be interrogated too."

Feeling a sudden confidence inside of me, I ran to the front, my heart pounding, to prevent anyone from going inside the cars. 

I motioned them to stop. 

'We'll give the money back!' I gestured. 

"He still stole." the police said, guiding Dad inside the car. He didn't bother adding anymore statements to his sentence, and drove away. 

"Miss," the woman called. Feeling myself get even more nervous, I was still confused. And in the middle of the car ride, I broke down. 

Dad wouldn't do such a thing. We weren't in debt. At least.. that's what I knew. 

When we reached the police station, I hesitated to go inside and texted Yoongi and the others. As expected, Yoongi replied first. But I didn't get to answer, since the woman motioned me to keep my phone for the interrogation. 

I heard the sounds of people cursing, some shouting. The atmosphere itself inside the building was so heavy, I wanted to cry again. But I had to be strong. For Dad.