A royal ball

“Cornwallis” The Prince turned to the old man “Could you go to the harbor and order the captain to leave back to Stonegate?”

Lord Cornwallis looked at him “I could, but… you wish us to stay alone in here?”

“I do not want Skeldergateans or Knavesmireans to see us right away. They should arrive soon, so, could you just take some of our things and tell them to leave?”

“Of course, my prince. Where are we going to stay?”

“I do not know, we’ll decide that later. Now go. I am going to take a walk around”

Diana was finishing the arrangements in the Main Hall when the Royal appeared. Diana sighed, she was already in a bad mood, she was tired and hungry and knew what they were going to do already.

“Is everything ready?!” The Queen coldly asked

“I am almost finished, your highness”

“Good! There are more people coming to the ball, so make sure there is enough food to everyone”

“Sure, your highness”

“And you, my Princesses, it is time to prepare for tonight”

The princesses smiled widely “I cannot wait to try my new dress!”

The young guard was, as usual, at the entrance of the Palace, doing his job as many other guards went to the harbor, ready to receive the guests to come.

“Is your job always this troubled?” Prince Robert sarcastically said, appearing out of nowhere and startling the guard.

“Ahh, oh!” The guard’s eyes widened when he noticed who was talking to him “Prince Robert!”

“Why are you alone?”

“T-The rest of the guards is at the harbor”

The Prince approached him “How many of you are left?”

The guard looked down “Only a few dozens”

“Did you notice anything weird, during the attack? Despite them sparing the Palace?”

“N-No, Prince Robert” The young man whispered “Everything was too fast”

“Speed is not the most important thing when you have to fight” The Prince started to walk away, leaving a puzzled guard behind.

The prince made his way to a hidden spot at the harbor, noticing people were arriving. That included both Leofrick of Skeldergate and Montagu of Knavesmire.

The Prince of Stonegate made sure not to be seen and paid attention to their behavior. For his disappointment, there was no interaction or dubious looks between them.

“Damn. I will find out what is going on, you can be sure of that” The prince whispered to himself.

Diana took a deep breath as she finally had five minutes to take a breath and eat something little. She would not be able to rest much, the Main Hall doors were opened and there were already guests inside. She was thankful that, right then, at least, she wouldn’t work alone. The Queen had paid some other old maids to also serve at the ball.

When she entered the Hall to start her job, she noticed the amazing mood the room was in. It certainly did not look there was a battle and the entire kingdom was destroyed. Everyone seemed too happy.

“Thank you, milady”

“Get me more wine, maid!”

Surely, there were good and mean people everywhere. Sadly, the environment she had grown up in was not filled with the best personalities.