Bittersweet Victory

Robert’s POV

I walked across the lands of my kingdom. Everything and everyone around me seem to move and talk in slow motion.

I have my lips parted and I am breathing deeply and hardly.

I look down at the lifeless man I am carrying in my arms. Both mine and his sword lying across his chest, bloody and dusty.

The pain in my heart makes me feel even weaker, after all these days of battle. I knew my army was strong enough to take down the three enemies, but our lower numbers gave them the advantage of bringing more soldiers and weapons to the battle, while my men bravely fought the remaining men.

*flashback*

“Kid, hold on, do not dare dying on me!” I knelt over my youngest soldier

He smiled at me, blood coming out of his mouth “I-I am afraid that is not… for me do decide”

I held his hand and he tightly held mine back “M-My Prince… It was an h-honor to fight in this battle... T-To fight f-for t-this kingdom, f-for my home… f-for you”

I clenched my jaw, this young man did everything he could to help me, when I needed him. This young man always believed in me. I grew a bond of affection towards him.

“M-My parents… t-they’ll know I f-fought next to you…” he smiled, life slowly drifting away from his body

“I will make sure your parents have a good life, stable life. They will not lack food in the table. And I will make sure to let them know how brave you are, how courageously you fought next to me. They will be forever proud of you, young  man”

“T-Thank you.. m-my prince”

*end of flashback*

Those were his last words. And that was not the only man I lost. I say to myself as I look to the man in my arms again.

I can feel my legs starting to fail me. I can feel the pain all over my body.

I can feel every single of my wounds.

But that is nothing compared to this sorrow I feel. To the panic I feel when I think about Diana.

And she will not leave my mind for a single second.

“MONTAGU IS DEAD!” I can hear Thomas smiling at everyone, who cheers him loudly as he raises the Knavesmirean Prince’s head. Lots of people came out to the streets, lots are around me, lots are singing and celebrating the honorable victory and some others… just mourning their losses.

Lots of people open a way for me to get through as soon as they saw me. They scream my name, but I cannot possibly celebrate back with them. Not that I am not happy for our victory, but I am too brokenhearted to celebrate right now. And feeling too weak.

Thomas celebrations and frolics immediately stopped when he noticed all the uproar around me. Desperation and shock filled his expression when he saw the man I carry in my arms.

“FATHER!” His voice was of pure shock and panic

Running towards me, with bruises all over his face and surely some pretty bad injuries, he continuously called for his father. He shook his body furiously.

“WAKE UP!”

“Thomas…” I whispered

“NO!” He looked at me, his eyes full of tears “NO!” He took his father in his own arms.

Picking up my sword, I stood there for some seconds, looking at his desperation. Everyone else was now quiet before one of the best captains the Stonegate army ever had.