The unexpected

Leofrick of Skeldergate gingerly approached Montagu of Knavesmire as everyone was still dancing and in a good mood.

“The Stonegatean is not dumb, Montagu” He muttered

“I know” Montagu said in an angry tone “I believe he already suspects us”

“So how are we supposed to follow the plan?! Seriously, if I do not get my part of Stonegate we are having serious problems!”

“We are still negotiating on who gets what after this!” Montagu muttered, angrily “The Stonegatean is probably outside. He is nowhere in sight. Send the men we brought. We can still catch him by surprise”

“That is a terrible idea, he is smart and agile, Montagu.”

“He is. But he is not expecting this. He is probably doing some lady. Do you not know his weakness? You surprise me with your dumbness, Leofrick”

“Whatch your mouth, Montagu!” Leofrick snapped, before walking away.

Prince Robert was still walking around the Palace. He wondered how long it was left for the ball to end and for the Queen to finally say something. Obviously, bad news would not be well received from Montagu and Leofrick. But he did not care. He only cared about the safety of his kingdom.

“Princesses, should I send the people away and only make the announcement in the presence of the Princes?” The Queen asked for her daughters advice

“I think it would be better to be a more private thing, mother” Princess Alice smiled “Have you decided already?”

“I think I have. All my friends told me Leofrick was probably the best choice”

“WHAT?!” The Princesses said at the same time “NO! Mother!”

“Princesses, indeed, Montagu was the one who attacked us and Prince Robert is surely not to be trusted. Don’t tell me you didn’t notice his arrogance!”

“Mother! He is the only one truly capable of defending us!”

“His kingdom is the most feared because it is the strongest!”

“He did told me fake people tend to be polite. That is just who he is, mother!”

The Princesses said that basically at the same time

“Ok, I understand you find Prince Robert good looking and all that, but Princesses… Do not fall into his trap. He is very well known for his lady-killer manners”

“Oh, mother! I am just saying what I really think! You have to choose him!”

“My advisers were really convincing too.”

“Please mother”

The Queen sighed “I guess I will be needing more time for this. I have to send this people home. The ball is ended. Let’s tell the Princes I need a few more hours”

“More time mother? Just choose…” The Queen interrupted her daughter

“I’ve made my decision”

After noticing people were leaving the ball, Prince Robert was having fun throwing little pebbles to the lake, inside the Palace’s area. He decided he would wait for them to leave before joining the others. Surely the Queen wanted to make it a private meeting, as sinful as it sounded.

He was calm, enjoying the calm and pleasant breeze of the night when he sensed he was not alone.

And he was right.