Unexpected

Everyone welcomed a nice dinner after all the tears and hugs after those long months full of uncertainties.

Diana was glad Queen Beatrix seemed to really like her and welcomed her as her own daughter. She feared she might get doubts of this sudden relationship her son had gotten into, which would only be normal. She knew there were many women who would kill to have a Prince like that and the possibility of sitting in a throne. But Beatrix did not seem to have doubts. Diana guessed she knew her son better than anyone else and could see in his eyes how everything between them was pure and sincere.

Both talked for a really long time, Diana told the Queen her entire story and how about all the events after she met the Prince. She noticed Robert was fully concentrated in a conversation with Thomas, Charles and two other men she could not quite remember who they were.

Diana also noticed the maids did not seem to be treated as so anymore. They had the right to their own meal and not all of them worked anymore. Some helped serving the dinner because they wanted to, some joined everyone and some simply stood in their corner, eating by themselves.

She also noticed the room was really big, but had no other division connected to it. Everyone slept there, everyone had chosen their own corner. Well, with all this war going on, it was actually a great space to be safe. And they were more than thankful to have food for everyone.

“So, my boy has been treating you well?”

Diana smiled, looking at the Queen “More than well, your highness. Robert is simply amazing” She proudly said

She could see the Queen’s eyes shining in happiness “You have no idea how happy and thankful to you I am, dear Diana” she smiled widely “and please, call me Beatrix”

“Oh, uh… sure your… Beatrix” Diana smiled

“So…” Both of them noticed Robert approaching them, kissing Diana’s forehead “I see you are getting along well?” he smiled happily

“Yes, honey, Diana is an amazing lady”

Robert smiled “I know that, very well” he smiled at her

“I just… wanted to thank you for receiving me here so well”

“Oh, my dear, this is your house now” Beatrix smiled

Diana felt overwhelmed, she could not have asked for more. And, even though she wanted justice made in Wedgemore, she could not help but feel like home is where her heart was. And that was wherever Robert was.

Robert held her hand tightly “I love you”

“I love you too, Robert” Diana smiled

Beatrix smiled, watching the couple

“So, Robert” she asked “What were you talking with the council men, there?”

Robert glanced at her, taking a deep breath “Just making plans, mother. I want to spread the word to every remaining soldier that I am here and preparing a battle. I need to make sure it remains a secret until we decide to attack, though” Robert explained

The Queen nodded “Everything needs to be planned by detail and carefully”

“I know, mother. I will make sure of that” He smiled

They stood there, talking for some more minutes until they noticed people were starting to leave the spot to go rest. Two maids were cleaning the table as the others were already preparing to sleep.

“Some of them are worried about their families” The queen said, looking at them.

Robert glanced at their spot, noticing Jasmine, once again. She seemed to be so different. The same, yet different. That was the best he could explain.