2

David →

I unlocked the front door of my house, gripping my large duffel bag. David came behind me and took the bag from my hand and I thanked him. Opening the door, I let him go inside first before walking in and locking it behind me.

"Mom? Dad?" I called out. "It's Casper; I'm here!"

"Casper's here!" Dawson's voice erupted from upstairs. I chuckled, holding onto David's hand. My brother raced down the stairs and came to a stop once he landed eyes on us.

"Oh... hey," he acknowledged, openly analyzing my boyfriend.

"Dawson! This is David, my boyfriend." I smiled, turning to David. "And this would be my brother, of course."

"Hi! So you're the guy that got Casper to snap out of his zombie phase?"

I rolled my eyes as David laughed quietly. "You can embarrass me any other day, Dawson. Not today. Where are Mom and Dad?"

"In their room. I should probably go tell them you're here." He went back upstairs and I followed his lead, tugging David up with me.

"I wanna show you my room!" I exclaimed, swinging the door open.

"A piece of you," he understood, gazing into my room and setting the duffel bag down. His eyes lit up as he took everything in. I could understand why he was eager to see it--it really was a piece of me. More importantly, it was me before I met him. He could finally see where little old me grew up. He could see the bed that was shoved against the wall, the same bed I'd spent hours alone, reading, studying, even crying. He could see the walls decorated with pictures of myself and my family--no friends because I had none. And of course, my book case, filled with all my cherished collections throughout the years. He walked toward it and picked up one of my books, reading the title.

"Yes, I have Perks of Being a Wallflower. I can hear you mocking me in your head."

He just laughed, kissing the side of my head and replacing my book. He proceeded to look at my pictures and I found myself inevitably blushing as his eyes scanned some of my baby photos. "I was a preemie." I explained my newborn photo, and he laughed at me even more. I scoffed, tilting my head. "You're just getting a kick outta this, huh?"

"You're cute," he told me and I pursed my lips, pretending not to be impressed.

"Yeah, and?"

He took me by the hand, pulling me closer and kissing me. I gently tugged his lip, savoring the taste of it and smiling. "I love kissing you," I admitted.

We heard someone clear their throat and immediately separated, startled by the sound. It was my mother, standing at my door frame with her eyebrows raised.

"Mom! Hey!" I swallowed nervously. "This is David, who I told you about."

She smiled tightly at him but didn't give him a chance to greet her. "Dinner should be ready in about twenty minutes. You can... take some time to get settled and freshen yourselves up." Clasping her hands, she turned around and walked away.

I sighed. "Told you. They hate me."

He shook his head, disagreeing with me. "It's okay," he managed. I buried myself in his arms, knowing he wanted to say so much more than 'it's okay.' Nonetheless, I appreciated his efforts. The fact that he was here alone was enough to get me through.

We took off our shoes and changed into different clothes before laying on my bed to relax for a bit. I let him toy absentmindedly with my fingers as I considered various scenarios in my mind about what would happen during dinner. My mom basically ignored David...