8

*****

I slept in the next day since it was thankfully a Saturday. I didn't want to move from this warm, safe spot on the bed because I'd lost the energy to hope. I'd lost the energy to worry or care.

But I realized-I was in bed and not on the living room sofa where I'd cried myself to sleep the night before. Plus the spot next to me looked like someone had slept there, and once the scent hit my nose, I gasped and shot up from the bed. For one faithful second, I was completely filled with happiness that David had most likely returned.

That excitement was quickly ripped away from me as soon as I remembered what drove him away in the first place. I gulped, trying to contain myself as I headed into the restroom. It was almost as if I wanted to hide from the shame of keeping the truth from him for so long, or maybe I was just stalling.

I sighed, turning on the faucet slowly and washing my face. I could feel my fingers shaking slightly but I told myself to get it together as I brushed my teeth. I grabbed a dry washcloth and wiped my face clean, staring into the mirror. I didn't look any better having been so deprived of sleep; even my eyes appeared deep-set and tired.

I tossed the washcloth onto the sink lazily and walked out of the room, bracing myself just enough to descend the stairs. I could hear Jonathan's spirited, animated voice illuminating the house. There was the sweet smell of bacon, the crackling of eggs, and the brilliant light of the morning sun. I was careful and quiet heading down the stairs when I heard his richly deep and slight authoritative voice, one that couldn't be mistaken. My heart quickened as I finally descended the last step and made my way toward the kitchen.

I saw Jonathan sitting on one of the bar stools, munching on some cereal. Standing at the stove cooking was a shirtless David, his skin golden as the sun kissed it gently. I sucked in a breath at the sight of him, feeling all the relief in the world overwhelm me. I was about to just run into his arms and let him take all of my worries away as usual, but along with that relief came a bubbling anger that I'd never felt before. Or maybe it was hurt. Whatever feeling it was, it wasn't pretty.

David happened to look up, immediately catching my eye, and he seemed to light up. Jonathan hopped off his seat when he saw me and began to walk away. "I'll give you two some privacy," he explained, shuffling past me to head upstairs. He gave my shoulder a brief, friendly squeeze before ascending, but I didn't move from my spot.

As soon as Jonathan was out of sight, David quickly turned off the stove and strode toward me. "Casper," he whispered my name. With that one word along his lips, I could hear the apology and regret in his tone. I blinked and furrowed my eyebrows as he reached for me. I didn't realize what came over me until it was too late, but I retaliated by pushing him back-luckily, not too hard.

"Okay, I get it." He held up his hands. "You're angry with me, understandably-"

"You're angry with me," I interrupted. "And you stormed out, didn't look back, didn't call me to say you were fine... I'm sorry I kept that secret from you, David, but you let me think something happened to you!" My emotions bested me, and I closed my eyes as the stupid, stupid tears started to fall. I guessed he seized that opportunity to hold me, and he was hesitant at first but I let myself sink into his hold.

"I won't pull anything like that again, I swear," he vowed quietly. "I wasn't mad at you, angel."

I lifted my head. "You can admit that you were. I just... I was so scared you were gonna..."

"Gonna do what?" he softly inquired, wiping my cheeks clean of tears, but they still pooled in my eyes, only to fall again.

"Dump me," I confessed, holding onto him tighter.