28

Sooo, you know how I promised an excerpt of the potential story about Rowan? I'll save it for another chapter. Maybe even the end, since this one is drawing to a close ;* This is the longest chapter I've ever written, so I better see comments that I can respond to. I'm watching youuu.

******

It was David's turn to give me a tender massage along my back, and I could feel all of my stress disappearing with every gentle rub of his hands on my bare skin.

I sighed into the comfort of the pillows, closing my eyes as he sang to me underneath his breath. I wanted to fall asleep, but he soon stopped and his hands paused against me.

My eyes shot open as he lightly shifted me onto my back. I smiled sleepily, wrapping my arms around his neck and lifting myself up to kiss him. His lips fell to my jaw then my neck as I breathed in contentment.

"Something's on your mind, isn't there?" I asked him, lying back down. David cupped my cheeks, his eyes searching mine.

"Remember what you told me? That you proposed and I gave us rings?"

I smiled. "Of course I remember."

"Right. You did propose, and I did give us rings... but I never actually answered you." His hand moved up to stroke my hair. "It was our first public date at the park, before my surgery. I was too stunned by your request that I didn't even give you answer."

"Heck, I stunned myself. It's okay, David. I know you love me."

"See, that's the thing." I sat up as he continued speaking. "Casper, I wanna do so many things for you. I wanna give you everything-anything you want, anything that I can. I wanna spoil you and... take care of you. I can't begin to express..." I could see him digging for ways to explain what he was feeling, but I completely understood. I was so caught up in his words that for a moment, I thought I was in some fairytale.

Surely, this couldn't be real. There was just no way, and I made sure he knew it. "Sometimes, I feel like I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and find myself in my old room back home. Still seventeen and quiet, unsure of myself, buried in a book. Because you're a dream, David. I... I'm honestly scared of being without you. I mean that; I'm so, so terrified of being apart because all I want is to be close to you."

He pressed his body to mine, teasing me with a kiss that drove me wild. "This close?"

"Even closer. Impossibly molded together; hell, we could share organs," I joked.

He grunted and scrunched up his nose. "You're so weird. Thanks for ruining the moment."

I laughed heartily. "I was joking. But, to be serious... I love you."

He inhaled, a giddiness in his eyes that I couldn't help but admire. "There's something else I had to say. Like I mentioned, I wanna spoil you. I wanna lavish you with luxuries beyond your imagination and I," he touched his forehead to mine, "I wanna marry you. I'm going to marry you."

I had gasped, overcome with immense happiness. Of course, it wasn't the first time we'd talked about marriage, but the way he talked about it now felt like it was coming sooner than we'd hoped. It meant we could be together, truly together, and have a family. Live, love, and laugh through holidays and tough times.

"I've planned it in my head," David said. "I'm going to find a way to get back in touch with most of my friends, the closest ones. I'm the one who pushed them away every time they were there for me because I was so depressed. But I'm not anymore. I've found happiness, and they'd embrace you with open arms. We'll throw a baby shower for Dani. Weeks or so after that, we'll announce our engagement and start planning for the wedding and the baby. We'll decorate her nursery and..."