34

Seeing that nobody was home was all the confirmation that I needed: Dani was at the hospital. I scaled the stairs to the master bedroom to retrieve my phone, seeing the missed calls and a message. I quickly phoned David's number then headed back downstairs.

I couldn't waste any time in getting to the hospital.

"Hello? Casper?"

"David! Is it true; Dani's in the hospital?"

"Yes, was your phone off?"

"I forgot it at home. I'm on my way... is it the baby? Is she coming?"

He was silent for a moment, almost as if he couldn't believe it himself. "Casper, our daughter is definitely ready to be born."

"Oh my god!" I gasped, gesturing to my friends. "I'm with Ava and Lucas! Do you guys wanna go with me?" I asked them.

"Duh!" Lucas supported. Ava snatched the keys from me.

"Don't worry; I'll drive before you die from excitement."

She wasn't wrong. As we all hopped back in the car, I couldn't contain myself and I made David stay on the phone just so that I'd know what was happening on his end.

"Tell me everything! She seemed perfectly fine yesterday!"

"Yeah, apparently, she was in a bit of pain through the night and now she's feeling a lot of contractions."

"When did the contractions start?"

"I think she said around 9 in the morning."

"That was like four hours ago. Ooh, Buggie's gonna be an evening or early morning baby!"

"You're on your way, right? Dani needs me and I need you."

"Yes, we're heading there right away. Please tell Dani I love her and to breathe. Oh--and not to scream at the nurses."

"Too late on that one."

I rubbed my fingers over my forehead then into my hair. "Thank god you were home with her. I only found out through paparazzi."

"Are you serious? They're still chasing after you?"

"It's okay; I know how to handle them by now. Besides, I'm sure they'll move on to other people in no time. It's just with our wedding prep and the baby, they're quite intrigued. Before year's end, they'll lose interest for sure."

"Let's hope so. I'll call you back in a few minutes; I want to get a little food for my sister."

"Alright," I said, glancing behind me at the shopping bags still in the car. "And we're good on baby clothes, trust me. I'll see you soon." I ended the call and sucked in a deep, nervous, excited breath.

"I can't believe it's happening already!" Lucas squeezed my shoulder and I laughed.

"Oh my god. I don't think I've ever been this... this..." I shook my head, not knowing how to explain what I was feeling.

"Thrilled?" Ava suggested, watching the road signs. "I love babies; I can't wait to see her. Newborns are tinier than you'd expect."

"I know, she's gonna be so small and fragile." I took a couple deep breaths which made Lucas laugh at me.

"Gee, Cas, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were the one giving birth."

Ava and I laughed along with him, and I tried my best to calm my nerves for the entire ride. It seemed like the longest thirty minutes of my life just to get there and to find our way through the maternity wing to my fiance and soon-to-be sister in-law.