32

I PUBLISHED AN EXCERPT OF ROWAN'S STORY and a title reveal. You guys should check it out! Find my book called "News Book" and you'll see it in the last chapter. Also, at the end of the sneak peak, you'll find something very surprising!!

__________________________________

I was safely nestled in David's arms later that night, after the house was cleaned and all our guests had gone home. It must've been the excitement that kept us awake because we were otherwise exhausted.

I stroked his bare chest absentmindedly, feeling his breath fan against my forehead. He was wearing pajama pants, and I was in a very oversized shirt and breathable briefs. We understood each other very well at this point because minimal clothing meant guaranteed intimacy.

"How is your arm?" David asked, gently picking up my left hand.

"It's healed, I'm sure. My doctor's appointment is in two days. I have no idea how I'm gonna get there."

He kissed my head. "Don't worry, tomorrow we'll keep practicing and I'll be right there with you. Do you think you're ready to drive about... three miles and back?"

"I'll try."

"We'll see. You've been doing well so far." He pulled me close. "I wish I'd done more to protect you. Maybe if my dad never knew about you..."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my meeting with him."

"No, it's better you didn't. He wasn't above killing you, Casper, as scary as that is to admit. He used these men to speed into your car. If you had told me, he was planning to have you taken away."

I lifted my head. "Taken away?"

"Kidnapped," he explained, much to his sorrow. I shuddered at the thought. "He had guys working for him, stalking you, stalking your friends and family. Even if you told me and asked me to keep silent, he knew there was no way I would've done that. I know this because he confessed to everything. I didn't want to tell you because it seemed pointless and it'd only upset you. Also because I blamed myself too much."

"You're not responsible for him. Please know that I don't blame you in any way. I don't know how this will sound, but being so close to dying wasn't what scared me. It was being away from you." My finger stopped tracing his chest. "I love you, David, and I want to put this behind me while we start our lives together. Also... I'm going to brave driving a car if not for myself, then for you. And Buggie." I beamed.

His fingers slipped behind my head, tugging me near to kiss me. "I love you too. Which is why..." He sat up slightly. "When you conquer this fear, as I know you will, I'm going to get you a brand new car. Anyone you pick, it's yours."

"David," I gasped. "No, I don't need a car. I can't ask you to get a new one for me."

"You're not asking. I'm giving you this because I really want to. Consider it an early wedding gift then."

I was truly shocked, and it must've been written all over my face. "Oh my god, David, what can I give you in return?" I sat up, trying to think of a way to measure up. "I have to get a job. Yes, I-I'll get a job and then I can-"

"Casper," he hushed, a laugh in his voice. "Please, I don't want or need anything in return."

I shook my head in disbelief, not bothering to blink my tears away. "I swear, you are too good to me. You're insane, getting me a car."

"If loving and lavishing you is insanity, then by all means, I'll bask in my craziness. In a few months, I'll call you my husband. You don't know what that means to me." He pulled me onto his lap gently, and I embraced him.