16

David →

"My son. Look at you; you've recovered fairly quickly."

A noncommittal stare settled on my face as I watched my father enter my house. Thank god Casper was in school; the atmosphere felt less safe with this man around. I could just feel the suffocation floating closer and closer.

Rowan went back home last night, with a promise that he'd come back. If I had to be honest with myself, I was sad to see him go. Of course I'd be; I was convinced he was dead. I was convinced we would never cross paths on earth ever again.

At least now I had a way to contact him. Our conversation was nowhere near over.

I closed the front door, not responding to his mock concern for my well being.

"Where's my lovely daughter?" He asked, his icy gaze traveling through the room in search of Danielle.

"She's in her room," I answered. "She's been feeling sick for a while now."

"Then I need to see her--"

"Not before you give me what I asked you for. An explanation."

My father sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets and lifting his chin confidently. "You seem to think I did something to your fiance. Why now? It's been years; why is he still your concern?"

My eyebrows fell into a scowl as I took two slow steps toward him. "Did you really just ask me why he's still my concern? Rowan and I were going to be a family, how dare you? I know what you did. I know that you used the press against him, I know about the threats, the danger you put his own family through. His mother's house burning down... his cousin's accident that she fortunately recovered from. I know that you gave the Legion his whereabouts. He got on a plane to Canada to visit his grandmother and he was in such a rush to do so because of how afraid he must've been."

"Are you saying his death was my fault?"

"I'm saying... you try anything like that with Casper... well, you can kiss your precious reputation goodbye. You know me, I'm not one to give threats but I'll be damned if I sit idly by while you hurt him."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

I stepped aside, not answering his question. "Your daughter's upstairs. I wouldn't disturb her for too long."

**

~Casper~

I hung my coat on the rack once I arrived home, cautious of who I might find upon entering. And by that, of course, I meant Mr. Larsen. The evil, tyrannical, unjustly cruel man that managed to father the love of my life who was the exact opposite.

"David?" I called out hesitantly.

"I'm in the kitchen," he responded. I dropped my backpack onto the couch and swiftly strode further into the house, finding him exactly where he said he was. He was shuffling through the mail that I'd left on the counter yesterday. "Hey, I missed you," he said as I walked straight into his awaiting arms with my eyes closed. God, there was literally no safer place in the world than right here.

"Can I just stay here like... forever?" I mumbled, holding onto him as tightly as I could. His chuckle was soothing.

"I'm definitely not opposed to that idea."

"Is your dad gone?"

"Yes, as I promised." David lifted my chin just enough to give me a kiss. "He left about an hour ago."

"Did I get any mail?"

"No, none at all."

I immediately breathed a sigh of relief, tucking my head back in his chest.