22

Soon after my classes ended for the day, I picked up all of my belongings from my friends' room then returned back home. I walked into the house and took a nice, long, deep breath and sighed with content.

Finally.

I would say that it was like I never left, but that was false on so many levels. It felt like I'd been gone forever, and I was aching to see Dani and precious Sofie, and I really really needed to spend time with David.

I heard Sofie's barks as she ran down the stairs in record speed, traveling over to me in the blink of an eye. I gasped.

"Hey, my sweet!" I dropped my bags and bent down to pet her and kiss the top of her head. "Mm, you smell good. Dani give you a bath or what?" I giggled as she licked my face then I heard footsteps.

"Well, look who's back," Dani greeted me.

I straightened up my posture and grinned at her. I wanted to hug her, but I decided against it. I never got the chance to ask her that very important yet very personal question.

But I was sure she was pregnant. She had to be, and if I knew it, then David knew it too. He was much more observant than I was and he respected the privacy of others. So he was most likely just waiting for her to come out with it at her own time.

"How are you?" I inquired.

"Never better. I feel like myself today."

I smiled, nodding. "Yeah, your skin's glowing. And you look well-rested; that's great. I'm glad you're better."

"Thanks. And I did give her a bath." She gestured toward Sofie and chuckled. "Trust me, she needed one."

"Yeah. Dogs, huh. They're like taking care of a baby, aren't they?"

Dani slowly shrugged. "I-I guess. I think babies are more time-consuming."

Alright, not much of a reaction there. "Speaking of babies... do you know the decision on Alex? I mean, I know he's not a baby but he's a very young child. He shouldn't have to stay in foster care."

"Rowan went to see him while you were gone."

"Did um... did David go with him?"

"He wanted to see Alex, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Maybe you should talk to him, okay? I only know for a fact that Rowan's adopting him as soon as possible, and it's gonna take a little while. The good thing is that he was trying to adopting him before he was born, so that could speed up the process by as much as two months."

"Wait, so what does that mean? How long does it usually take?"

"I'm not very sure. Six months usually, maybe more. I think it's different for each case. For him, it could take four."

"Okay. I'll talk to David; I'm sure we have a lot to catch up on. Is he back home?"

"Yup." She moved on into the lounge. "C'mon, Sofie." She whistled to the happy dog who followed her and I picked up my belongings before going up the stairs.

I walked inside of the fruit-scented room and saw David resting on the large bed, but he wasn't asleep. I dropped all of my things and ran over to the bed playfully, falling on top of him. "I'm baaack," I announced as he buried his head further into the pillow and groaned.

"Nooo, go awayyy."

I gasped dramatically. "What? You're not happy to see me?"

"I already saw you today." He lifted his head, laughing at my pouted lips. "Angel, you're killing me."