11

I didn't receive a wink of sleep that night. Rowan didn't say much after informing me that his past had caught up to him. He was exhausted, as was I, so we decided to continue our talk tomorrow. I lay awake in bed right beside Casper's sleeping form, still shocked from tonight. Honestly, this probably wouldn't sink in until next week.

I was tossing and turning, trying to find a comfortable position. Eventually, I just stopped trying. Dawn would break soon, so falling asleep at this point was senseless. Casper stirred, let out a sigh, then turned to face me.

"David?" he mumbled, lifting his head slightly.

Staring up at the ceiling, I responded, "yes, angel, I'm here."

"Can't sleep?"

"No, I can't."

I felt him slip his hand onto my bare chest, and it was very warm. Very soothing too. "Poor thing," he whispered sympathetically as he traced circles on my skin with a finger. His voice was scratchy from sleep, but I still enjoyed the sound. "It can't be easy."

"I feel lost," I admitted.

"I know, baby." He kissed my shoulder lightly before resting his head on my chest. "Everything's gonna be fine. And I'm taking you to the doctor's today, so just... let's hope you get cleared so you can drive and find a job like you wanted. Your speech is pretty much back to normal, and there's no tumor regrowth. That's something to be thankful for. Right?" He stroked my hair a little bit and I held onto him.

"Right."

"Good. Get some rest. I don't wanna wake up to a sleep deprived monster," he teased, giving my side a small tickle. I chuckled under my breath and laced our fingers together.

"I'll try. Go back to sleep."

I didn't have to tell him twice. He was out like a light again, and for the life of me, I just couldn't sleep.

~Casper's POV~

Upon waking up, I saw that the space next to me was empty again. I scratched my head and stretched groggily.

My phone sprang to life on the bedside table so I picked it up and answered it.

"Hello?"

"It's me, Jonathan."

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. "Oh, hey Jon. What's up; why the early phone call?" I glanced at the digital clock that read 8:53.

"Because I need to fanboy to someone that isn't Ava. Of course I have other friends but you're the only one who won't kill me for waking you up."

"You didn't wake me up, and fanboy about what exactly?"

"Okay, so I have to keep my voice low because Luc is sleeping -"

"Wait a minute." I chuckled. "You have a new nickname for him?"

"Well, yeah. After last night, it only seemed fitting."

I raised my eyebrows. "Last night?"

"He said he didn't sleep with Lucien. They decided to just be friends. I-I think he did it for me."

"I'm sure he did it for you because he was really crazy about having sex with this guy."

"Maybe he was trying to convince himself he liked Lucien instead of me. I guess that didn't work out because he sort of confessed he really does have a thing for me. He was just scared that I wouldn't wanna deal with his moodiness and everything and felt that I'd be better off with someone perfect.."

"And what'd you say?"

"That perfect people don't exist and I like him for who he is. He couldn't contain his happiness after that."