17

Dani →

It was safe to say that as the next few days flew by, I started to feel pretty secure in my relationship once again. I'd decided that there was no time to focus on the negatives, the potential threats, and especially in David's case, on the what ifs. Seeing as the universe blessed me with this man, I was not going to spend every single moment worried about what would become of us. He could've been gone months ago, then where would I be?

The sense of security that I felt with David even benefited my performance at school, so instead of watching hours of Netflix and making him do my homework, I took care of things on my own and studied for the first time since last month.

As for Dani, she was still cooped up in her room, Sofie being her main companion. After our talk, she didn't explain herself any further. But she did have me thinking when she claimed that her brother would hate her for going to a doctor's appointment. So I asked myself, what could David possibly hate her for? Knowing him, he was quite the understanding type and slow to place judgment.

I thought about her symptoms: the fatigue, circles underneath her eyes, hours upon hours of sleeping, and she was always in sweats with messy hair buns. The only time she left her room was for food. So the answer was finally clear to me. I was just too... shocked to bring it up again. I kept telling myself that it wasn't my secret to tell, especially since she was hell bent on avoiding social interaction and I hadn't confirmed my suspicions. Still, it kind of sucked to know something that David didn't because it was like lying. I couldn't withhold anything from him ever again.

"Mm, that feels amazing," David hummed as I giggled.

I grabbed the milk and honey lotion bottle, putting two pumps in my palm before placing it back on the nightstand. I rubbed my palms together and pressed them against David's shoulders, gently kneading his back and arms.

"You're good at this," he complimented.

"I never gave anyone massages before I met you."

"I'm lucky then." He sighed into the pillow contentedly, and it put a smile in my face. I moved my hands further down his back, rubbing lower and lower... I just couldn't resist the perfection of his body.

"Someone's treading into dangerous waters," he taunted me playfully.

"Am I?" I leaned down and kissed his beautiful skin.

He turned around onto his back and pulled my elbow forward to bring me closer. I brought my lips to his as his fingers ventured into my white hair. I slipped my legs in between his and let myself sink into his body. I savored the blissful sensation of his hands running down my back, but before the pleasure could build any further, David's phone buzzed with a message. I separated from him just as the screen lit up, so I glanced at it casually and saw it was a text from Rowan. I furrowed my eyebrows as David picked up his phone and read the message.

I sighed and sat up. "What does it say?"

"He wants to know the best time for us to talk. Apparently, there's something he has to say to me in person."

"He lives far, right? Think he's staying over again?"

"Depends if that's something you're okay with."

I wasn't happy with the idea at all, but I didn't know how to say that. I settled for a passive response. "It's your house, David."

"It's yours too. Come here." He set his phone aside and pulled me closer. "I didn't mean to upset you and I can read it on your face that I have."

"I'm not upset; I just... I finally started feeling secure again. You don't know how much I cherish our relationship and I don't want it to be you and me, and your fiance. Speaking of which, is he really still your fiance because he definitely seems to believe that. I'm not comfortable with it, so I don't care if he stays here for either a night or a week. As long as he knows your engagement was over the moment we fell in love, then I'm okay."