29

Freya's picture →

~David's POV~

"He's going to wake up, David," Dani reassured me, squeezing my shoulder. "You shouldn't fret."

"It's been four days." I sat at Casper's bedside, caressing his delicate, still hand. I was in pain along with him, having to see him so vulnerable. The bandages, the cast, chest tube... he was worse than Rowan, who was already awake and eating after his surgery.

Thank god for Rowan though; his prosthetic leg was ruined in the crash and he was injured. Still, he managed to pull Casper out of the car and hobble away from the wreckage before the car ignited.

He was a true hero that night. I would've lost everything if it weren't for him, and I couldn't begin to express how grateful I was to him. He saved Casper's life, which meant he saved mine.

And my father... I couldn't even think about him without wanting to punch something around me. So, I didn't dwell on those thoughts.

"The doctors assured that he'll wake up soon. He's just healing."

"I know." I reached for Casper's hair to stroke it, feeling the sheen of sweat along his hairline. I wondered if he was suffering in silent pain, and I ached because of it. He had pneumothorax--a collapsed lung--which was caused by the impact. Fortunately, it wasn't fatal and would only take about another week to heal. Other than that, he endured a dislocated shoulder which was popped back into place, a minor humerus fracture in his less dominant arm that would take 4 weeks to heal, and a hefty amount of cuts along his leg.

These injuries weren't so severe that he'd be unconscious for four days, so doctors suspected brain damage but it was ruled out after careful testing. Thank goodness for that. We were expecting him to wake up any minute, and I wanted to be the first person he saw.

"I can't believe Dad would do this," Dani continued, absentmindedly rubbing her stomach as if she found comfort in doing so. "He's gone mad."

"I rather not talk about him. He's locked up; let him rot." I shook my head. "Dani, please, could you go check on Rowan? I will, too, after you."

"Yeah, of course. I guess I was trying to avoid his cousin. She's still here."

"Why?"

"Freya's been my friend since I met her. All these years, she never mentioned Rowan was alive and a part of me is still hurt. It's fine; none of that is important at the moment. I'll see you later."

"Okay." I didn't want to think. I sat there, watching Casper closely for maybe hours as nurses came to check on him regularly. I was rooted in the same spot. There were no signs that he was going to wake up any second, and eventually, his parents stepped through the doorway.

They'd been in town since I notified them of what had happened, staying at a nearby hotel. Their other son, as I was informed, couldn't be here because of school, and had to stay with relatives. I knew Casper would've liked to see his brother, but unfortunately we couldn't guarantee when he'd open his eyes.

"He hasn't woken up at all," his mother, Giana, observed, rushing immediately to her son's side.

"David," his father acknowledged me. I weakly smiled at him. When they'd first arrived, I had to explain literally everything to them. The press, the threats, my father. I felt guilty that they knew nothing of it, and a part of me felt that they partially blamed me for this unfortunate outcome. I even blamed myself.

Casper's dad, thankfully, seemed a lot more understanding than his mom and that helped to ease my guilt. If I had done better, knew better, retaliated better, Casper would not be in this bed.