12

~~~

My heated anger dissipated during David's appointment. During the ride here, he'd been pleading with me to talk to him but I was stubborn until now, when his doctor informed us that his scans were clean.

I was purely happy about the good news as the doctor proceeded to get him cleared. "I'm excited," I stated, hugging him briefly and holding his hand. "You've come a long way." He was sitting on the exam bed, and I was standing right next to him.

"With you by my side. That's something I'll never forget." He pulled me close by the waist and I was a blushing mess as I leaned down to kiss him.

"I'll always be by your side, David, if you'll let me," I promised.

"Of course. When I call you my angel, I mean it. You're my little light and... you saved me." My heart stuttered a bit when he said that to me. I wanted to smile but my heart was still heavy with Rowan's words. David tilted his head. "Why don't you want me to call you that anymore? Do you not like it?"

"I do; i-it's just... Is that what you called Rowan?"

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "No. Is that really what you thought?"

I wrung my hands uneasily. "He said that he and I had similar qualities. Then he mentioned that your nickname for me was angel, a-and no one told him that so how else would he know unless you called him that too? Did I jump to conclusions?"

"I can see why you'd think that, but that title is reserved for you only. It means something to me, more than just a nickname."

"So how'd he know?"

"Casper." He gently held my hand. "I could ask the same question. He knew my hospital room, he knows where we live..."

"Do you think he's been... I don't know, keeping tabs on you throughout the years?"

David shrugged, appearing exhausted. "It's possible. But I'm gonna get my answers, and I want you with me this time."

I rubbed his arm soothingly. "I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier."

"That's okay―"

"No it's not. We trust each other; I should've talked to you before storming out like that."

He pecked my cheek. "So I can still call you angel?"

"You, sir," I traced his soft lips with my finger teasingly, "can call me whatever you want." He smirked slowly as I captured his lips with my own. It was a much needed kiss, and I remember hoping his doctor wouldn't walk in and catch us.

But seriously... I didn't really care.

**

It felt good to be in the passenger's seat for the first time since David's surgery back in November. He decided to drive us back home, and the closer we got, the more I started to dread going inside.

Ever since I was little, I'd been hiding myself in a shell that David managed to pull me out of just last year. Well, for lack of better words, if anybody could shove me back into that shell, it was Rowan. I wanted to believe that I could be strong about this entire situation, but I wasn't kidding anyone.

"Casper?" David brought me back to earth, and I looked at him, realizing that the car had stopped. "We're here."

I nodded and unbuckled my seatbelt before exiting the car and shutting the door. He did the same, rounding the car and putting an arm around me.

"Wanna check the mail? I'll go open the door."

"Okay," I agreed, letting him go walk over to the mailbox. Honestly, I couldn't check mail without holding my breath and hoping none were addressed to me. I grabbed all of the letters, closed the box and walked to the house. I didn't dare look at any of them. I just entered the house, set the mail on the kitchen bar counter, and ignored it completely.