Chapter 1

June

Daniel and I are running around my backyard in the snow. I run inside while he can't see me and sit in the kitchen whilst taking off my snow clothes.

My mom laughs when she sees Daniel coming around the house looking confused. I do as well.

My mom hands me a mug of apple cider and sets another on the table for when Daniel comes inside. He eventually does. Two minutes later.

I live in a large suburb of Chicago. My family consists of me, my parents, and my dog. (A/N: you'll see why I didn't add Metias in later on)

"June. Want to go sledding next weekend?" Daniel asks.

"Yeah." I say. "Mom! Can we go sledding next weekend?"

"As long as there's snow on the ground." She yells back. There will be.

This is my seventh grade year and it's about halfway over. Christmas break ends tomorrow.

"June." Daniel says throwing a marshmallow at me. Just because I don't want hot chocolate doesn't mean I don't want marshmallows.

"What?" I ask throwing a marshmallow at him, which he catches in his mouth. I laugh.

"You know your friend Tess?" He asks.

"Yes." I say hesitantly. "What about her?" He better not like her.

"I think my brother likes her." I let out a breath. Eden is Daniel's identical twin.

"You scared me."

"What did you think I was going to say?" He asks.

"Nothing." I say looking away.

"June." He says taking me by the hand. "Are you okay?"

"Yes Daniel." I say taking my hand back. "I'm perfectly fine."

We walk outside after a while of silence and putting our snowclothes back on.

I walk with Daniel back to his house and before he goes inside he turns to me with a look of worry on his face.

"What's wrong Daniel?" I ask.

"Something's not right. I just feel as if something bad is going to happen."

"You're probably just imagining it." I say. He nods obviously unconvinced before grabbing my wrist and pulling me a few steps closer to him.

"June I really don't care if I'm being stupid right now or not. But I need to tell you something in case I'm right."

"What is it?" I ask.

"I love you." He says.

"What?" I ask. I mean we are best friends and I love him too but I have a feeling that's not what he means.

He takes my face in his hands and kisses me on the head before running inside leaving me confused.

••••••

Tess and I are going to the mall today. She lives really close to there so we walk from her house. My mom very reluctantly drops me off at Tess' and I decide to sneak in the back window to Tess' room. I find her covered in blood.

What happened? I quickly jump to the floor and sit by her side. She groans and I lock her bedroom door to make sure whoever did this to her can't come back. Or at least we'll know when they are trying to.

"Tess, what happened?" I ask grabbing a towel from her hamper to try to cover the wounds.

"My parents. Both of them." She says in a quiet whisper. She seems to be in a lot of pain.