Chapter 9

June

I walk into the school with Tess on Monday morning. It has been a long couple months since Tess and I started here.

Homecoming came and went. Tess and I did not attend.

"So what's up Tess?" I ask awkwardly as we make our way to our lockers.

"Not much. What's up with you and Day?" She whispers.

"Nothing. I mean we text sometimes and talk in person but that's it. It doesn't mean anything."

"Of course it means something. He's the first guy you've given a second glance since the accident."

"Tess that's not true." I say.

"What accident?" Day asks walking up.

"What did you hear?" I ask nervously.

"Just the words 'the accident' and then everything after that." He says.

"Oh." I let out a breath of relief. I don't want him to know about Daniel. I mean I consider him a friend but to be honest I don't want to tell anyone.

"Well just ignore what Tess said. The accident was nothing. Just the time I broke my leg."

"Oh okay." He says.

••••••

Tess and I walk into the half empty classroom at the end of the day. We have decided to join student council together.

Tess sits down across the room from me with a girl I've never seen before.

I decide I should stay on this side of the room and give Tess some space. Day's friend Pascao sits next to me.

"What's up June?" He asks.

"Joining student council." I say.

"That's cool that's cool. I have been on it since middle school. It's fun."

"Great." I say. I glance over at Tess. She's laughing at something that girl has said.

I want to walk over there but I don't want to be rude. The meeting is about to start.

"Today we'll talk about fundraising." A teacher says standing up.

After the meeting I walk over to Tess.

"Well I should go but let me give you my number." The other girl says. Tess nods and hands her phone over.

"Text me." The mysterious girl says.

Tess and I walk out of the room together and toward our lockers to gather our things.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Just a girl that I talked to a little. Her name is Kaede."

"Oh. Okay." I say. I put my two notebooks I need in my backpack and organize the others.

Day walks up to me at my locker.