Chapter Five: Geese are actually Satan

{AN: okay, this took longer because of writer's block, but we are going to see some character development with Lafayette, and a little bit with Hercules, Angelica, and Eliza. Also, there is some Waffles, which is my ship name for Laf and Hercules. My sister and I were trying to come up with a good one and we got Laffales, which sounds like waffles. So they are Waffles now. We also came up with a really gross one: Herc-bert (Herc-ules and Gil-bert). If anyone has any suggestions on things I could do to develop characters better, I would love some advice! Yeep! Have fun!}

[A COUPLE DAYS LATER]

John's pov:

I sit in one of the soft theater seats, gripping Peggy's hand like I have a grudge against it. She is squeezing mine just as hard, though, so I think we're even. We are sitting in tryouts for The Fiddler on the Roof, which is a musical. I'm not really a singer, but maybe I'll get cast as a backup role with only a speaking part, but Peggy has a great voice, and she can sing really loud, so she's perfect for any of the lead alto parts. We've already done our monolog and our singing auditions, and the director-to-be is telling everyone that callbacks will be up in a week or so. I can't wait, and even though I'm sure I'll only be cast as a minor role If I'm even cast at all I'm still nervous as hell.

The director ends his short little speech and releases everyone back into the real world. As Peggy and I walk outside into the sunlight (which is blinding after the dim lighting in the theater) we are ambushed by a mob of arms and loud voices.

"How did you guys do?"

"Congratulations!"

"You're squishing me, Laf."

"Why are we hugging them?"

"Did it go well?"

"Let's celebrate!"

"How was it?"

"YAAAAAYYYYYYEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

"Ow, my ear."

"GOOD JOB ON WHATEVER YOU JUST DID!"

"Do you think you'll get the part?"

"I can't breathe."

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask when everyone has stopped screaming and hugging.

"Angie dragged all of us down here without any explanation and made us wait outside the door for hours," Alex complains.

"It wasn't hours!" Angie protests.

"I've been sitting on this concrete so long my butt has gone numb," He retorts. "So I don't really care if it was hours or not, it was a long time to wait. And I have work to do."

"Jeez Alex, stop being so whiny," Angelica punches him in the arm. "We're here to support John and Peggy!" He sighs.

"Hey," Laf breaks in, "If you all have some time, we could go to that park I saw nearby!"

"Yes!" Liza shouts. "I need to stretch my legs! Everything below my neck hurts!"

"Yeah, screw homework," Peggy adds. "Let's go have fun!"

"Peggy, if you still have homework you need to do, then I'm taking you home so you can finish it," Angelica grabs her sister's arm.

"No, it's fine," Peggy says, shaking her off. "I finished it during other people's auditions."

"Did you do it correctly?" Angie presses.

"I think so?"

Angie gives her a look.