xxiv. break every chain

Ashley

Hey this is Reece. Party boy, Dylan O'Brien's fuck buddy – just admit it Dylan – and Ashley King's smoking hot, white fiancé. Leave a message. By the way, if this is Dylan calling for some good dick, sorry man. Ashley would kick my ass.

"Reece, this is the fifth time I've tried calling you this week. I tried Red CORP, I tried the RED manor, and no one knows where you are. So, either you've vanished off the face of the earth, or you don't want to speak to me for some reason. Either one is cool." I shifted on my bed. "But just let me know that you're okay."

I rested the phone down beside me and stood. I crept over to my dresser, and slowly, one by one, put on my rings, put on my watch and tucked my tissue into my shirt's pocket.

I was already dressed in the black suit I was going to wear at Dee's dance recital. The one that would have to make due for his funeral today.

It had been a week since the shooting, and the news networks had still been latched onto the story. It surprised me. I wasn't expecting the shooting of a black man to resonate so much, and invoke so much discussion.

It made me miss the days where I sat behind my desk at Urban and typed away about the injustices we faced. It made me ache for the days when things were far simpler, when I could see much more clearly – literally.

But those days were gone.

The room door opened, and Kenzie walked in, wearing a white shirt, jeans and a pair of rays.

"Only assholes wear shades on the inside," I remarked.

Kenzie shrugged his shoulders and put on a hat from the collection of hats he had n the dresser. "And only a super asshole would wear a hat and shades insides," he retorted. "Guess what I am?"