11. "𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝/𝚋𝚎𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐".

You can't have a story without a beginning, now can you? The real question is how do you start off your story that'll be filled with drama, thrills, and suspense—pretty much all the works.

example one

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I growl as I look over at my vibrating iPhone shake violently on my night stand before I snatch it off and tap on the snooze button. I rise up from—

presses back arrow out of book*

violently presses "No"*

I'm tired.

Please understand that I'm tired of reading these characters waking up in the beginning of the fucking chapter! It's fucking boring, and tasteless and so goddamn repetitive it makes my fucking head hurt. I'on give a fuck if your character was waking up and they were about to get robbed...

Start that shit off with the robbery! That waking up shit got to go! Unless that shit is fucking vital to the story, cut that shit out! And you know what else I'm tired of in the beginning? These fucking dreams! Stop that shit! Let's talk about the start of your masterpiece:

1. Okay, so we attracted them. (the readers)

2. We got a bomb ass cover, (and if you don't that's fine, just make sure you get to work on that.)

3. We got a bomb ass synopsis/description (and if you don't, that's not okay! Take yo' ass back to chapter two "descriptions/synopses" and read, goddamn it!)

4. And we got some good tags, (please put tags, I'm not gone steer you wrong, just put some tags on yo' book.)

Now, we gotta' keep this momentum going with a solid, "what-the-fuck-just-happened" or the most well-known, "oh shit!" beginning.

WRITING A
BEGINNING
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

1. First things first, and you gone see what's usually first and how I keep going back with advice from previous chapters. We have to make sure you have an acute plan or idea for your plot. What does that mean? Make sure yo' ass know how yo' book gone start, continue and end. Write that shit down, just like I did in the descriptions/synopses section!

What is going to happen in the beginning that sets your plot in motion? Sometimes your beginning can be the keystone to the plot, or maybe just a small factor that'll play the biggest role later on.

2. You also have to think how to form this beginning to attract and lure your readers further in without falling off the trail of your book's plot as well as be realistic and not be with all that extra shit.

3. Set introductions for certain characters, settings, and conflicts without being overbearing and overwhelming.

Shit sound impossible don't it? Don't worry, we gone get it right! Okay, so I made up a lil' book on the top of my head that I won't be using for myself in the near future:

Ebony Wilkins is the definition of "misfit". She refuses to settle down for the sake of her three young sons, all fathered by three different men, and her promiscuous and immature ways stop her from setting the limit between fun and priorities. But when she meets Fabian Smith, it seems that the option of "priorities" are brushed aside and completely forgotten.

Think of the beginning as if the book didn't even have a synopsis, as if the reader didn't even know what the book was about and all you gave them was this start

example prologue
▂▂

They told her from the beginning it was pointless.

"Don't develop any relationship with him."

"It's not even worth it with him, Ebony."

Yet, she didn't listen. She ignored her family's complaints and warnings, cut off her friends who disagreed, and went on ahead in fell head over heels for him.

And this is where it lead her—chained up in a murky, dark basement and on the verge of falling unconscious since she hadn't ate in three days, and she knew she wasn't going to get any help because he wouldn't even be looking for her since it was all his fault.

The sound of the basement's door reached her ears and she weakly lifted her head, listening and trying her best to set her eyes on the figure that slowly followed the steps of the stairs and sauntered over to her.

It wasn't until the figure was standing right in front of her that she was able to process the familiar face, and the tears slowly formed in her eyes.

"Dubs?" She whispered, a slow smile forming on her face.

Dubs smiled back down at her, "Was' good, boo?" Ebony sighed in relief, not even caring that he asked that stupid ass question; she was just glad that he made it down here to save her.

"Dubs just get the...", Ebony trailed off her sentence when she seen Dubs holding a .44 magnum in his large hands, the weapon aimed at her head.

A second passed before his finger pressed the trigger, and her head flew back, splatters of blood and chunks of brain painting and slathering the floor as Ebony's dead body slouched forward and fell limp.

▂▂

Basically, the beginning is to hook and reel mothafuckas in, and if you keep using the same. fucking. beginnings. every. damn. time. You ain't reelin' me in, nigga!

Add some drama!
Add some suspense!
Leave a bitch on the edge!
Make 'em crave to flip or scroll to the next page!

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AUTHOR'S
NOTE

Lemme' know some beginnings that made you exit out of the book or beginnings that made you keep reading because you couldn't get enough in the comment section. Ask me some damn questions.