09. "𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚙𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜/𝚍𝚎𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚕𝚜" [𝟐]

To describe shit and not,

(a) bore somebody to death
(b) go overboard with it
(c) have enough to actually work with

That shit hard as hell.

It took me three years to get where am I with describing shit, and I'm only getting better, so understand that you will not become an amazing describer in just one day. You have to adjust how you describe to your writing style as well what you're trying to achieve in writing.

The main goals you should be trying to accomplish is making your fiction plausible and making your readers be able to relate. That means making your fiction reasonable and credible. Your choice of words and language need to convey what you are trying to describe when you write. The details you provide should give your reader enough information so that they can form a complete picture. Any details should help a reader to understand the meaning from the writer's point of view. You can do this by creating vivid images for your readers, by not only telling them with words, but showing them words.

DESCRIPTIONS
IN FIRST & THIRD
POINT-IN-VIEW
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Telling only lists emotions and actions, (barely) while Showing creates images in the reader's mind, and that is something we want to do.

Take this for instance,
example one: "Moira was scared that somebody might be in the house with her."

That was telling. And it was flat. You know Moira is scared but you don't really feel it, and for sure your reader won't.

example two: "Moira's breathing began to sharpen and quicken. She was panicking and knew that she needed to leave the house."

Okay, so the second example is longer than the first—by not that much—but you're getting a lot more. Just like the first example, the second example makes it pretty clear that Moira is scared, but unlike the first, it creates a distinct picture in the reader's mind. As an added bonus, it also gives us a bit of insight into how frightened Moira is and how she handles her fear.

Descriptive language appeals to the reader's five senses: taste, touch, sight, smell, and hearing. When used correctly, descriptive words can help the writer entertain, persuade, inform, and educate.

When people hear the phrase "descriptive words" they tend to think of adjectives. Adjectives modify nouns to describe their specific characteristics. All adjectives are descriptive words, but not all descriptive words are adjectives.

Use strong, specific verbs.
Provoke emotion through character reactions and vivid writing, don't simply tell readers how to feel.
Use well-placed details to bring scenes to life.
Use expressive dialogue to show characters' emotions and attitudes.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AUTHOR'S
NOTE

Lemme' know some descriptions that made you wanna' delete the book and Wattpad from your life.