The long year starts

Once we got off the train, we went to the dining hall. Dumbledore gave his annual speech on how we should not go into the forbidden forest, and bla, bla, bla. I zoned out. "Hermione!" ron said as he nudged me. "Hermione, what's wrong? That's the second time you've buzzed off in to lala land!" Harry said in a worried tone. "I'm alright. I'm just thinking about...things. But I'm alright." I said clearing a portion of Harry's worry. "So...What's going on." I asked, not bothering to look around. "The new first years are about to get sorted!" Ron exclaimed. "Brooklyn Gatewood!" Dumbledore announced, as a girl with platinum blond hair sat down waiting to be sorted. I recognized her as the younger sister of Ginny's friend, Victoria Gatewood, who was in Ginny's year and also had platinum blonde hair. "Exactly like your sister..." the sorting hat mumbled. "Griffyndor!" the hat shouted, followed by applause. With that I dosed off.

I woke up just when the last kid was sorted in to Slytherin. Overall, 21 went to Gryffindor, 27 to Slytherin, 24 to Ravenclaw, and 23 to Hufflepuff. "Let the feast begin!" Dumbledore proclaimed. So much food...what a waste. I looked over at Ron; he currently had 2 drumsticks, 1 in each hand. I mentally counted in my head for how long it would take for Ron to finish his drumsticks.
"2 drumsticks per 10 seconds!" I said to Harry, Ron, Neville, and Ginny.
"Can you be anymore disgusting!" I added.
"What?!" Ron said in a muffled tone.
"I'm hungry!" He added.
"Aren't you always?!" Said Ginny who was annoyed with her brother. Disgusted and annoyed, I looked over at the Slytherin table, only to make eye contact with none other that Draco Malfoy, he sneered at me then looked away. Not wanting to look at those slimy gits anymore, I looked away. A few seconds later, I felt a pair of eyes trace over my body. I shifted in my seat. I felt two more pairs of eyes on me. Just as I was about to look in the eyes of those staring at me, the mail came in, and all the stares broke away from me.
I got two owls today, unusual. The first owl was gray with hints of brown, a medium sized bird is how I would describe it. The second was pitch black, and was between large and medium, it looked almost terrifying; but its eyes put me at ease, its eyes were large and brown, and they seemed to say that it meant no harm. Now for the mail.