I

ACT I | SCENE I

SURPRISES

PARK JIMIN HATED a number of things but surprises were definitely at the top of the list. anything that involved him being unprepared was, without question, not welcome.

this was why no one ever threw him a surprise party. not that he minded. the first and last time anyone tried to throw him one was when he was twelve.

he had walked in, nearly had his heart burst out from the shock of the yell of surprise, stared at everyone as they beamed at him before turning around and walking back out of the room. no one could convince him to return and his twelfth birthday party had taken place without him.

and now here he was, getting the biggest surprise in his twenty five years of life. one jean clad leg twitched underneath the table as his fingers tapped against his knee compulsively in a repeated pattern.

"are you sure about what you're saying?" he asked between clenched teeth. he was feeling a whirlwind of emotions. he was tired of getting hit with surprises everywhere he turned.

first it was his father telling him he would be retiring soon and wanted jimin to take over the entire business. and then his mother suddenly began to talk about getting married and kept trying to set up him on dates with the daughters of her friends.

and now this. he stared at namjoon intently, waiting for his reply. his hands were beginning to get clammy with anticipation. he wiped them against the jean fabric covering his thighs.

"dude, i saw her yesterday with a kid. and when i asked hoseok, he told me it was her kid." kim namjoon answered seriously.

"hoseok?" jimin gulped. if jung hoseok had confirmed it, then it had to be true. after all, he was the best friend to jimin's ex girlfriend, han jangmi. a frown formed on his face just at the thought of the woman.

he licked his lips as he recalled the girl he hadn't seen in more than four years. running a hand through his hair, he let out a small groan. "hyung, why did you tell me this?"

"i thought you might like to know." namjoon's shoulders moved in a shrug. "that she's moved on and even has a kid now?" jimin crinkled his nose. "jimin, the kid looked around three or four." namjoon stated pointedly.

"what has that-?" jimin paused just as his friend sent him a pointed look. his heart rate suddenly picked up as he realised what namjoon was trying to tell him. "hyung, are you trying to say that it's my child?" his voice rose a decibel.

he strained to keep himself in check and glanced around to see if anyone at the coffee shop had heard him. no one seemed to be paying them any attention. he turned his gaze back to his friend.

"it's possible." namjoon said. "you two broke up around that same time. and then she disappeared for a long while." he added. "it's not my child. she would have told me if she had a baby."

"would she really have?" namjoon gave him a look. jimin paused at that. when he broke up with her, she had made it clear that she no longer wanted to have anything to do with him. he was also guilty of saying a few pretty cruel words himself.

"could she really be that cunning as to have my child and not tell me?" he muttered more to himself than to namjoon. "you'll never know until you ask her." his friend replied. "but i don't know where to find her."

"you're the son of park myungsoo, you can find her." namjoon stated. "hyung, you seem to have forgotten how she seemed to have been wiped off the face of the planet when we broke up." jimin reminded him. "yes, but now she's back in seoul. it's different."

the back of jimin's hand rubbed the tip of his nose before he ran it through his black hair as he thought deeply. his mind was reeling. he really did hate surprises and namjoon possibly just dropped the biggest bomb of jimin's life.

but he was going to have to find out from the horse's mouth if she really did have a child for him without his knowledge. he was definitely going to find jangmi and ask her himself if it was the last thing he did.

"maybe, just maybe...i-i have a kid?" jimin considered the possibility that he was the father to a child he didn't even know and his fingers twitched nervously. he had to know.

☀☀☀

so what do you guys think? i haven't proofread this yet so if you spot some errors, don't be afraid to point them out ❤ - t
update: please, no more j-horse jokes in the comments, please. jimin's thought process was in no way referring to hoseok and is simply an idiom used to say that he was going to find out from jangmi herself the actual truth of the matter. so please, please and please, let's put a lid on the j-horse/horseok jokes, thank you.