XXXVII

ACT VIII | SCENE XXXVII

CAPE VERDE

THE SOUND OF shattering china nearly made hoseok jump out of his skin. "jesus, mimi, be careful!" he warned, grabbing the broomstick and dustpan to sweep up the mess of broken china. the woman smiled at him sheepishly.

he sighed, shaking his head at her. "you've been scatterbrained lately. you alright?" he dumped the broken pieces in the garbage can. she shook her head. "i think i haven't been getting enough sleep." she raked her fingers through her hair.

"i noticed." hoseok leaned his hands on her shoulders from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder and engulfing her in his rich heavenly scent. she reached behind and weaved her hand through his hair, ruffling it and sighing heavily. "what i don't know is why." his warm breath fanned her collarbone.

she brought her arm back down and sighed again. "it's just work. the dance recital is just around the corner. you know how i said the other teachers hadn't had much of a reaction to the whole fiasco with park hyunjoo?" she turned her head slightly, her cheek rubbing against his at the action. "mhm," he hummed with a nod.

"well, they're finally letting it show." she placed her hand over his. "most of them are claiming they don't think my choreography is good enough to be included in the lineup. now, i wouldn't really care what they thought on a normal day and call them out on what this is really about but i'm just worried for my kids. they've worked really hard for this recital - fought because of it even - for it to be ripped away from them when it's just within reach. that's not fair."

hoseok let go of her only to clasp her by the shoulders and spin her around gently so she was facing him. "the jangmi i know wouldn't take this sitting down. she would fight for what she thinks is right. which in this case is some stage time for her girls. let them know that they shouldn't tangle your private life in with your professional one...even though hyunjoo had done that." he glanced upwards to the side in thought at the last bit.

jangmi's lips lifted on one side. hoseok smiled at the sight of it. "if there are really problems with your choreo, have them point them out, let's see if the judgmental tosspots will have any backing for their baseless opinion." he ran a hand over her hair.

"hobi!" she laughed, leaning against the counter. "what? i kept it pg." he glanced over her to see rosalie still occupied with her colouring session. jangmi did the same, a small smile lifting her lips at the way her daughter was sticking her tongue out as she tried not to let her crayon stray outside the line.

"now what about you? what are you keeping from me? you've been here practically this whole week. you might as well move in." she propped herself up and onto the counter. "that's actually a pretty great idea. i'll bring my stuff over tomorrow." he chirped, placing his hands on either side of her.

she pinched his nose, wiggling it a bit. "while i don't mind that, stop trying to change the subject." she narrowed her eyes playfully. he sighed, ducking his head down. "i have an event i have to plan. it's a wedding." he told her. "and?" she urged.

"well... it's in cape verde." he quietly explained. her eyes widened a fraction. "cape verde? wow that's a long way from home." she remarked with surprise. "yeah." he nodded. "how long will you be gone?" she paused and chuckled after asking the question. "i sound like your wife."

he smiled warmly. "you're cute." he bopped her nose before straightening. "i'll be gone maybe a month." he stated, running a hand through his hair. "so that's why you've been coming over when you can." she bobbed her head with understanding. "yeah. i want to spend enough time with you two while i can. i was serious about moving in for the week i'll be here by the way."

she laughed, shaking her head at him. "the guest room's free for your taking." she told him. "rolly polly! uncle hobi is going to be staying with you guys!" he leaned his body to the side to see the four-year-old girl. rosalie's head snapped up. "really?" she asked with big eyes. hoseok bobbed his head enthusiastically, a big smile on his face.

with a loud squeal, rosalie hopped off the chair and ran towards him. he laughed, picking her up and twirling around when she reached him. excited giggles left her lips as jangmi watched them, smiling and shaking her head.

"you look happy i'll be staying." hoseok remarked, bouncing the girl in his arms. "i'm very very happy." the little girl confirmed. "mummy, are you happy?" she turned to her mother who nodded. she was happy to have hoseok with her.

☀️☀️☀️

i want to visit the cape verde islands sometime in the future who wants to join me