X

ACT II | SCENE X

CHAMPAGNE FLUTES

JANGMI'S GAZE FLICKERED to the rearview mirror where she could see a strapped in rosalie playing with a teddy bear jimin had gifted her. he'd wanted to drive them himself but she had declined the offer. jangmi felt more comfortable driving herself. if things went south – and she was certain they would – she had her own escape route without having to rely on anyone, especially jimin.

"are we seeing mamie nayeon?" rosalie looked up from her teddy bear. her mother smiled, glancing at her in the rearview mirror again as she shook her head. "mamie nayeon is in france, remember? we're going to see your other grandparents. your father's mum and dad."

rosalie had always referred to the woman who had taken them in as her grandmother and it brought great delight to her as she had no grandkids of her own. "papa's parents?" rosalie's voice was curious. "yes." jangmi took the turn that led to the park residence. "wow!" the child gasped as the mansion came into view. "it's bigger than mamie nayeon's house!"

rosalie was right. nayeon's chateau was admittedly huge but the parks' estate was easily twice its expanse. "i agree." jangmi stared at the gates that loomed over them. she hadn't seen this place since that incident four years ago. a security guard approached them as they reached the gates. "han jangmi here for park jimin." she said once the window rolled down halfway. unlike the last time she had been here, the security guard signalled that the gates could be opened.

jangmi drove into the large estate, parking her car a short distance from the house. she caught sight of jimin coming towards them as she stepped out. opening the backdoor, she unstrapped rosalie and lifted her out and into her arms. when she shut the door again and turned around, jimin came to a halt in front of her. "papa!" rosalie beamed, leaning toward him. "my princess," jimin grinned, taking her into his outstretched arms.

rosalie wrapped her arms around his neck in a hug before she began to play with his slicked back hair. he looked at jangmi then, taking in her appearance. she wore a formfitting, nude coloured bardot dress with a lace bodice that stopped mid calf, her feet in low nude heels and her hair pulled back in a single french braid.

"hey," he murmured out. "hey," she replied, not looking at him but at his home. "don't worry. it'll be fine." he told her. "i'm not worried. i'd just rather be in my house right now instead of having to be smiley with people who don't really want me here."

"for someone who doesn't care about impressing, you sure went all out." he remarked, eyeing her again. "i just like to dress appropriately no matter where i go, even if it's the enemy's den. aunt nayeon's impact." she shrugged. "enemy's den?" he repeated, brows lifting. she spared him a glance but did not reply. he sighed, deciding to let it go.

the front doors were opened for them and they walked in side by side. he led the way to the living room while rosalie's hands roamed his face now and again. three figures were sat in waiting when they entered. their eyes fell on the trio as they walked in. jangmi's glossed lips pursed as she felt all the attention on them.

"father, mother, noona, this is han jangmi." jimin stated once they were only a short distance away. jangmi bowed, mumbling out a "good evening, thank you for having me."

only bora was smiling at her when she lifted her head again. "and this is rosalie." jimin beamed as he dandled the girl in his arms. said girl turned to the other people in the room with a toothy grin on her face. "grandpa and grandma?" she whispered not-so-discreetly in her father's ear. park myungsoo was the first to let out a slight chuckle. "yes, grandpa." he approached slowly, holding out his arms for her. rosalie leapt into his open arms.

"does she have a korean name?" park hyunjoo asked, eyes on the girl. "yes, it's gijeog." jangmi immediately regretted responding at the cold, demeaning look of distaste the woman shot her. it chilled her to the bone and she was reminded of the reason she didn't like the woman.

"hi, rosalie! i'm your aunt bora!" jimin's older sister chirped out in hopes of distracting from the tense air. "tata!" rosalie reached out for her. "tata?" bora asked as she took the girl from her father. "i think it's french for auntie." jimin offered when it was clear jangmi was going to say nothing. he could tell she was seething from the dirty look his mother had given her.

a maid appeared then. "dinner is ready." she announced. "let's go eat, then." myungsoo said, leading the way to the huge - like everything else in the house - dining room. jimin felt jangmi stiffen when he placed his hand at the small of her back but she didn't attempt to move away as she kept her eyes on rosalie playing with bora. like a gentleman, jimin pulled out a chair for her. "thanks." jangmi mumbled as she sat. bora sat rosalie next to her. it was clear to both jimin and jangmi that she was already taken with the three year old.

as the food was being served and glasses filled with champagne - for rosalie, it was grape juice - no one spoke. jangmi savoured the silence she knew would be temporary. she already hated being here. she glanced at rosalie every five seconds as the sight of the happy girl offered her some comfort in the cold, mostly unwelcoming house. she rolled her tongue in her mouth, trying to forget the nasty look she'd received from mrs park.

once everyone's plates had been filled, they dug in. she ate slowly, anticipating the awkward dinner conversation that she knew would be coming. her mouth and throat felt dry and she had a feeling the food wouldn't go down well with all the negativity she was feeling. reaching out, her nimble fingers wrapped around the stem of the champagne flute. she brought the glass to her lips and sipped slowly. unfortunately, myungsoo chose that inopportune moment to speak.

"so when do you two want to get married?"

☀☀☀

y'all i'm graduating in three days! i've been busy preparing for the whole thing so i haven't been able to get much writing done. but i managed to get this done even though it hasn't been proofread or edited.
what's your first impression of jimin's family?