XVII

ACT IV | SCENE XVII

PREDATORY VISITOR

JANGMI REACHED FOR the ringing phone as she buckled in. "hello?" she said into it as she hit answer. "hey, where are you?" was the reply. she paused, processing the familiar voice and the fact that it had come in french. "brigitte?"

"yes, and you're jangmi. now we're done stating each other's names, can you answer my question?" brigitte answered in her usual manner. "seoul. where else?" jangmi laughed, glancing in the rearview mirror where she could see rosalie.

"cool, i know that too. but if you won't give up your address, can you come pick me up?" brigitte asked. "wait, what? what do you mean pick you up?" jangmi's brows dipped together in confusion. "i mean pick me up from the airport."

"what?! brigitte, you're here in seoul?!" jangmi exclaimed, jaw dropping. "tata brigitte?" rosalie looked up from playing with the cuff of her jeans. "mhm," jangmi nodded at her in reply. "yes of course. i promised mon petit chou that i wouldn't miss her birthday for the world. and i never break my promises."

jangmi laughed, unable to believe her friend and her impulsiveness. "you're crazy." she remarked. "the best people are. now are you coming to pick me up?" brigitte replied, mirth in her tone. "okay, just tell me what airport and i'll be there."

• • •

jangmi kept glancing at the woman the entire ride home like she would somehow disappear if she looked away too long. "i'm still here." brigitte chuckled when her eyes met hers again just as jangmi was pulling up in her driveway.

"just needed to make sure i wasn't hallucinating, you know?" jangmi grinned playfully as she put the car in park. "oh, i'm very much real." brigitte pinched her arm and opened the door. she stepped out, pulling open the backdoor and grabbing rosalie.

"mon petit chou." she cooed. "your auntie missed you the most." she nuzzled the little girl as jangmi pulled her suitcase out of the boot. "i missed you too, tata brigitte." rosalie grinned. "why am i being left out of the love?" jangmi chimed as she punched in the security code.

"no one cares about you." brigitte responded playfully. "ouch," jangmi placed her hand over her chest in mock hurt. "welcome to my humble abode, you cold hearted woman." she opened the door and made way for her friend. "red everywhere. why am i not surprised?" brigitte remarked as she stepped in. "you don't call me dame rouge for nothing."

"i don't." brigitte chuckled, letting rosalie down. blanche appeared then, mewing softly. "and who's this little cloud?" she squatted as rosalie picked the kitten up. "this is blanche." the little girl grinned. "she's my new kitty." brigitte smiled. "well, she's a very cute kitty." she ruffled the girl's hair before she ran off in the direction of her room.

"i'll show you to your room." jangmi stepped up next to her. "i need a shower and a long nap." brigitte mumbled, running a hand through her hair. "i'm sure you do." jangmi smiled. "and after that, you're going to catch me up on everything because all i've understood from all our conversations is that rosie's father is now in the picture."

jangmi sighed as she thought of jimin. "yeah," she groaned slightly. "filet mignon for dinner?" she asked, pushing the thought of him out of her head. brigitte's lips curved up as she winked at her friend. "you know me."

• • •

hoseok leaned closer to jangmi, making sure his voice was barely above a whisper. "so she's here right now?" he asked, eyes wide and a bit panicked. "mhm," jangmi nodded, a playful smile tugging at her lips at her friend's reaction.

"i'm going home. i can always discuss the party plans with you over the phone." he quietly got up from the couch. he looked at his best friend, not appreciating the clear amusement on her face as she sipped on her glass of wine.

"you're acting like she's going to eat you if she sees you." she chaffed, laughter in her voice. "um, we're talking about brigitte here. there's a great probability that she would." he replied, clearly not feeling the same amusement that she did. "now if you'll excuse me, i'll be leaving before your predatory visitor wakes up."

kissing her goodbye, hoseok pussyfooted it to the front door. jangmi watched him, trying her best not to burst out laughing at the sight. he looked like an amateur private detective on his first assignment. he had just wrapped his long fingers around the doorhandle when they heard the yawn.

hoseok froze in place for a short moment and then he was struggling to push down on the handle and leave, inadvertently making a whole lot of noise. jangmi clapped a hand over her mouth to muffle the sound of her cackles. "who's that?" she heard brigitte ask. "hoseok?"

he already had one foot out the door when she stepped into view. "oh, hey, brigitte! nice to see you again. i'd love to stay and chat but i'm kind of in a hurry." he rambled off in french before taking off across the lawn to his car. brigitte padded to the door to see him speed off.

"where's he rushing off to?" brigitte turned to jangmi who couldn't seem to stop laughing. "are you drunk or something?" brigitte propped her hand on her hip. jangmi just kept cackling, holding on to her sides. the next few of days were bound to be entertaining.

☀☀☀

and we have a new oc! remember the name brigitte from scene xiii, yanno the one that gifted jangmi the misshapen bowl? yup its her :) that's my mediocre version of foreshadowing. what do you guys think she'll be like? btw my dumbass cut my finger while making myself lunch (its a miracle i didn't chop the whole damn thing off) and my typing is a bit off so please if you spot any typos kindly point them out, thanks!