7: Sympathy and Tragedy

I woke up to arms around my waist, blinking lightly I felt hot breath hit the back of my neck. I gently unwrapped myself before standing up and pulling the over shirt on, and tying it in the front. I walked to the entrance and peeked out, the fog had cleared. Turning around I see Bellamy sleeping peacefully with Charlotte about a meter away. I sat leant against the wall and looked at Bellamy's sleeping face, he looked so peaceful. I rolled my eyes and walked over before kicking his feet. He jumped up and then glared at me.

"What's your problem?" he let out in a hushed tone. I rolled my eyes and nodded to the now open entrance. "So? I want to sleep" he added.

"I'm going looking for Atom and the rest of them, you can stay here and watch her" I nodded to Charlotte before taking off his shirt and throwing it to the floor. I picked up my bow, arrows and knife before turning on my heel and walking out of the cave. I see some of the delinquents walking around, clearly with the same idea as me.

"where's Bellamy?" they asked and I laughed.

"Your royal highness needs his beauty sleep more than to go searching" I scoffed before walking on. "you coming? We need to find everyone" they nodded and followed me through the woods. I hear groaning in the distance, running towards it I see a body lying on the floor, Atom. "Go get Bellamy, I'll stay with him" I order and they all run off in the direction of the cave. I crouch down to see the teen lying on the floor, blistered and groaning. I knelt beside him and pushed his hair back, looking over the injuries, he was too injured to do anything for. Any attempts to sooth the blisters would only cause pain, and his skin was too damaged to heal itself fully.

"Kill me" he groaned, pained. "please Storm" he added, meeting my eyes. I shut my eyes and slowed my breathing before nodding slightly. I heard the others running towards us and Atom looked towards them and then back to me. "Now please, I'm ready" he choked, closing his eyes. I nodded and pressed the blade into his throat slowly, biting into my lip as I watched his body become limp, drained of all life.

"Storm?" I heard Bellamy call out and I turned to face the delinquents.

"Pick him up, we will bury him with honour, it's the least he deserves" I commanded before walking off, Charlotte running up beside me. She took my hand in hers, as I looked down to the young girl.

"You couldn't save him?" I shook my head silently. "You would have, right?" I nodded without a word. "Then don't blame yourself Storm, you did the right thing"

"That doesn't mean it's not a bad thing though, to kill someone. I still took his life away Charlotte, Atom will never take another breath because of me" She nodded and I looked forward.

"You weren't afraid though?" she asked and I looked down, sighing before glancing to Bellamy.

"Do you want to know a secret Charlotte" She nodded and I saw most of the teenagers turn to look at me. "I'm always scared, I was raised in fear on the arc, I was raised to be scared and to make others scared of me" She nodded. "You can never truly get rid of all fear, you just learn to use it for strength". The rest of the trip was made in silence, I turned every once in a while, and every time Bellamy was staring at me, he would offer a small smile before looking away once again. As the hours passed we finally made our way back to the camp, with atom being carried at the back of the group.

I watch as Octavia walks out of the dropship and her gaze falls upon our group, her face lighting up as she runs towards her brother and me, she pulls us both in for a hug and I hug her back lightly. As she pulls away to greet the others Bellamy speaks up finally. "Octavia, I wouldn't" He warns and she pushes past before lifting the jacket from his body to see the body of her... whatever he was.

"Atom?" She whispers. I see bellamy think then bit into his lip.

"There was nothing I could do" He responds, taking the blame himself. I looked to him shocked and he nodded to his sister, knowing that I would be the one she needed. "O... please?" he begs and she pushes him out of the way.

"I killed him Tavy" I call out and everyone falls quiet. "Your brother is trying to be the bigger man and take the credit because he knows what it does to me to see you hurting. He knows that I am the better one at comforting both of you... but I can't let him take the fall for me putting Atom out of his misery. He couldn't breathe, the blisters were too severe. There was no way Clarke or myself could have done anything to save him, he knew it. Atom asked me to do it, he was in too much pain" I looked at her and her eyes welled up, I looked to Bellamy and nodded towards his sister before walking to my tent in silence.