41: Angering The Dead, Infuriating The Living

"Are you sure you want to come with us Ember?" Jasper asks, stopping all three of us before we run into battle. "It's a big risk... in your condition" He warned, not highlighting what the condition was.

"It's what he would do, it's what I would have done 6 months ago. It is what is right for my people, I will not sit back and hide from war because I am weak. I have already lost so much because of these people. Not anymore" I argued, making all three stare back at me with pride. I let go of the blanket, leaving me in jeans and a baggy hoodie.

"She's back" Jasper cheered quietly and I laughed, messing up his hair.

"And I'm out for blood" I smirked, before we all set off running once again, my hand holding onto my stomach protectively. 'Bellamy' pulled a grate from the wall and nodded for us to enter, Maya and Jasper climbed in, followed by me and finally 'Bellamy'. We all clambered through the vents quickly and quietly, and somehow in the turns we had made, 'Bellamy' had wound up in front of us all.

He pushed the vent from the wall and climbed out. "We don't have much time, the last 12 are on this level" he informed us, as Monty and Maya climbed out, suddenly a hand appeared in front of my face, I took it and pulled myself out, feeling his hands on my waist, setting me down carefully. I avoided his eyes, not wanting to see the eyes of my deceased ex-boyfriend.

"Including Monty" Jasper pointed out, "which way" he asked Maya, who pointed quickly, before we all set off again. 'Bellamy' took the lead, holding out the gun he had, treading carefully. I watched his feet as he expertly made his way silently. I heard Maya and Jasper whispering about something, and soon 'Bellamy' joined their conversation. I let out a groan which gained all of their attention, Maya rushed towards me and I shook my head.

"Stomach ache" I whispered, making them both laugh. "I'll be fine, honestly. Rib injuries take too long to heal" I nodded, finally standing upright again. A gunshot gains everyone's attention, and 'Bellamy' runs towards it.

"Ember?" Maya asked and I smiled.

"the baby just kicked the same spot, it hurt... but I'm fine. No new injuries" I took her hand and patted it gently. She nodded and we all began to follow 'Bellamy' once again.

"I still think you should have gone with my dad, we would have all understood. You're not in the right physical state... Bellamy would be livid if he knew" She whispered, I pushed her into the wall and felt my anger flare.

"Don't you dare tell me what Bellamy would and would not have thought" I felt the other two's eyes on my and then I met Maya's terrified ones. I let go and took a deep breath. "You never knew him, knew us. Bellamy hurt me so much, and he pushed me away too many times to count, don't you start thinking you know what he would have done. Because even I don't. He never did the expected" I muttered before looking back to the men. "Go" I ordered, both of them turned quickly and I watched as Maya passed, not saying another word.

We ran towards the gunshot and I watched as 'Bellamy' prepared himself. "Be prepared for anything" he whispered, raising his weapon. We all turned the corner to see a body lying on the ground, still. Maya ran forwards.

"It's mrs Ryan" she identified, I recognised the woman from around the community, but felt no attachment to her.

"She was hiding the last 12" 'Bellamy' told us, and I felt my heart drop, I looked to Jasper, who's face remained hard.

"Where'd they take them?" He asked quietly, making 'Bellamy' sigh.

"It's got to be level 5" Maya guessed, an educated one at that, they can't keep us captive if they can't survive the radiation around them. Jasper turned to go towards the elevator and 'Bellamy' stood in his way.